What to do next?! Please advise.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaymezYu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my current stats are:
cGPA: 3.25
SGPA: 3.14

MCAT: 32 (11P/9V/12B)
>100 hrs volunteering
> 80 hrs shadowing different doctors
Etc.

I could not do a SMP due to family reasons so my next option is an informal post-bacc, takin upper division science classes. My questions is should I be a full time student(taking 12 hours) while working part- time or being a part time student (2 classes or 6 hours) and work full time be better? The second option also allows for more flexibility in terms of my schedule and will allow for more shadowing/volunteering. Also being part time student allows for a greater chance of me getting A's etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do what it takes to get your GPA up to an acceptable level. None of us know you better than you know yourself. How can we give you advice?

Taking fewer credits will take longer, but taking more credits puts you at risk of not getting As. Working full time may allow you to save some money for applications and interviews, but may take away from valuable study time.

Your MCAT is fine.

Have you considered DO? With grade replacement, it would take less time to bring your GPA up.

dsoz

Thank you dsoz! That was very well put. To be frank, I feel that my GPA can go up only so much since I am a recent graduate regardless of the number of classes I take. There is a upper trend in my last few semesters of course. My involvement in a post-bacc is or the sole purpose of showing medical schools that I can handle the course load along with the stresses of everyday life (hence working 2 part time jobs). I was just wondering if it would be better to do less class and more work or more class/ less work since I find work easier than taking classes lol.

I also have considered DO and will be applying to them next cycle if this cycle doesn't work out for me.