Homer101

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
Hi Guys,
Here is the story:
Did my undergrad from UC Berkeley with overall GPA: 3.46, BCPM: 2.98. Have a C+ in one of the organic chem classes, 2 Cs in Calculus II and III, and about 4 more in upper division Bio courses.

Volunteer work: Afgan border Red Cross, Street Children Bangladesh, ER volunteer Calif, non-profit NGO which does food drives in South Asia.

Jobs: Teacher at Elementry school, bascially work with the science program.

MCAT: took it about 3 years ago and bombed it. 24 (8 N.S, 10 P.S, 6 V) I had two jobs at the time, I know stupid idea but my dad just got laid off so I had to.

I have always wanted to go to medical school and work abroad with WHO, CARE, Unicef. I don't know if my GPA is good enough to even make it to any medical schools. I plan to take the MCAT again during summers 2005. Your advice would be really helpful. Should I try to up my GPA by taking post-bacc courses? By the way I got accepted for my MPH at Yale, but they don't have grades over there would that go against me, they have honor, pass, high pass and fail. Or a decent MCAT score (30) be enough to make me a good candidate, that way I can apply for med school next year and not go for the MPH right away. Or should I take the MCAT, do the MPH and then go.

Love to get some feed back.

TwoLegacies

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
San Diego
Status
I think you should do a post-bacc if you are looking at MD schools. Your state residency is also a factor...

As for the MPH, do it if you really want an MPH, not because you think it might help your chances. If you want to do it solely because you think it will help your chances with med school admissions and you don't want to do BOTH the MPH and a post-bacc, then i'd go for the post-bacc if i were you.

Keep in mind this is from someone who hasn't actually applied to med school yet. :oops: I'm just looking objectively and thinking that you should focus on the weak part of your application-- your science gpa. And MCAT of course. Good luck!

TwoLegacies

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
San Diego
Status
oh yeah... I also meant to tell you (if you don't know already) that most DO schools have lower average MCAT scores and GPAs for incoming classes than do MD schools. I've also heard that DO schools are more sympathetic to non-traditional students, such as those who have worked for a few or more years after undergrad. You should look into it and see if you agree with the DO philosophy.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
Yeah, I think you will have to retake the MCAT for sure and do some post-bacc work..Even with a 30+ I think that 2.98 will haunt you. But you're not in too bad of shape at all, I know you can pull up your MCAT and rock some post-bacc classes.

I am always one to second the DO motion. Applying to DO schools will hugely maximize your chances.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
fellow calbear here.

if i were you, i'd take the Aug 05 MCAT, attend a post-bac program from Aug05-April06, and apply in June06.

your gpa is not THAT low. some schools look at the overall gpa more heavily (for example, SLU)- your 3.46 gpa is very acceptable given that you did your undergrad work at UCBerkeley. Your gpa is not a strength. I don't see it as a weakness either.

You need to retake your MCAT. One thing I learned from applying this year is that schools care a lot about your MCAT. In fact, most schools see the MCAT as much more important than your gpa (for example, SLU, Penn State). if you rock the MCAT (>33, >8 each section), you stand a good chance of being admitted.

in your case, post-bac is not necessary, though I'd encourage it. If you take the Aug 05 MCAT, you will have a year of sitting around before you submit your AMCAS in June 06. Put this lay-year to use. Help your chances by doing well in a post-bac.

I agree with previous posters on the MPH program. Unless you're dying to get a MPH before medical school, MPH can wait. Many schools allow you to take night class to obtain a MPH degree. As I said, your lay-year can be spent in a more productive way than enrolling in a MPH program.

you have excellent EC. If you can articulate this strength to the adcom, you're golden. make sure your amcas and secondaries empahasis this strength.

If you need any help (PS help, MCAT material, more advice, etc), PM me. I like helping fellow goldenbears. Good luck.