What to do over summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeloveyou

Seeking insight
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 1st year Opto student so we have this summer quarter off. I am trying to decide what to do with that time off. I have heard mixed recommendations from 2nd and 3rd year students. I am considering working during the summer to bring in some money and because I'm taking out student loans for the summer months seems silly. However, I have also heard students that recommend taking trips over the summer to make the most of the time off from school and just using student loans to do that.

I need some help figuring out the pros and cons and just want some direction on what to do.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Must be nice. We had 3 weeks off then went straight into OD2 summer term. Take a vacation, go home, do some research, get a job. It's a little early to be thinking about summer vacation though. Get through your first round of finals first.

You'll be earning a lot more money once you graduate and working full-time, so don't feel too rushed to work only for money. If you can find short-term work (which can be hard) as an OD tech at your school or in an office, that works great because things will become more routine, you'll network, and you'll be earning money in addition to adding to your resume. If not, then no big deal - do things that you enjoy and/or grow as a person: travel, read new books, get fit and become more confident/physically attractive. Enjoy yourself because even if you are in debt, you'll be earning much more once you graduate, so either work towards making yourself more competitive so you can find work more easily once you graduate or work on things that you won't be able to do once you graduate because free-time becomes more seldom.

Members don't see this ad :)
Must be nice. We had 3 weeks off then went straight into OD2 summer term. Take a vacation, go home, do some research, get a job. It's a little early to be thinking about summer vacation though. Get through your first round of finals first.

Thanks we just had our first round of finals so made it though that, now we have a break until December so just trying to get everything in order since I'm sure I won't have time to contemplate these things while classes are in full swing.

You'll be earning a lot more money once you graduate and working full-time, so don't feel too rushed to work only for money. If you can find short-term work (which can be hard) as an OD tech at your school or in an office, that works great because things will become more routine, you'll network, and you'll be earning money in addition to adding to your resume. If not, then no big deal - do things that you enjoy and/or grow as a person: travel, read new books, get fit and become more confident/physically attractive. Enjoy yourself because even if you are in debt, you'll be earning much more once you graduate, so either work towards making yourself more competitive so you can find work more easily once you graduate or work on things that you won't be able to do once you graduate because free-time becomes more seldom.

Thanks Mathcod, I guess it will depend on the options that are available to me as far as work goes. I have worked as a tech in Optometry practices for about 5 years before I started Opto school, do you think it would still be beneficial to work in an Optometry practice over the summer for the experience? I am seriously contemplating traveling but the costs involved scare me a little bit. :nailbiting:

Aside from the money and work experience (even if developed over 5 years, you can always ask to expand your duties or use down-time to ask how to manage a practice or to discuss cases), it can be beneficial depending on things like location and if this is the same person you've worked for in the past: if you work near your hometown you can network with them and they may be interested in hiring you or know somebody who will hire you nearby; if this is a person you've worked for before, you can see if you can get a letter of recommendation; if you are working for your school, it will definitely help with making you look more invested than your peers and can lead to school scholarships for involvement, letters of rec, and really makes you look a cut above the others if you are trying to apply for leadership positions or residency. Use good judgement - opportunities should never be wasted, and work opportunities can only make you stronger (and make cash).

If you can't find a position, again it isn't a problem because you'll make the same amount in 1x day that you can tech for 6x days.

I never exercised regularly until after graduation, and really even as a weight lifting noob, I can see great increases in strength and physique in only 1-2 hours a day for 5 weeks.

Only you know what your plans for travel are and their costs - see if it fits your budget. Again if it is an opportunity to grow, sure go ahead and take it if you can responsibly cover its costs. I'm working full-time as a new grad and it is tough for me to ever find time off and my job as an independent contractor gives me no paid time off (although you can probably find work as a doctor that gives 2 weeks paid vacation).

As a final statement: just do what you want to do and enjoy your last break. If you're going to work, work for more than just money - make it fun, make friends/colleagues, establish yourself as a stronger professional. Spend time with your folks because it may get harder to find this chance in the future. If you're going to relax, then do so productively and not time wasted, and don't throw your summer away with regrets.

You're a smart person, so really just think about what you want to do because this may be one of the few remaining summer vacations. I'm not sure of your financial situation, but I think you'll do just fine after you get your degree and really start earning the dough. I've made more in 2 weeks than I have working all throughout first-fourth year, but it took me 5 months to find myself a job that fit me after graduation [don't take this last statement as an observation of the job market; I just simply did not apply for a long time. I had job offers within 3 weeks of sending out resumes].

Thanks we just had our first round of finals so made it though that, now we have a break until December so just trying to get everything in order since I'm sure I won't have time to contemplate these things while classes are in full swing.

I take it you guys are on a quarter/trimester system rather than semesters.

Here's an idea. Call up some doctors and visit some practices where you want to work. You don't have to go and work for any of them, just get your face out there and get to know some of your potential future employers. No time like the present!

And then spend the rest of the time RELAXING.

I hope that you will spend this particular summer to assume or achieve a new skill or experience that can be related directly to your work. That could be an immersion program to learn a second or other foreign language or a business skill.