Aug 9, 2009
Status
Back in july, I emailed Dr. Munroe the course description and syllabus to get pre-req approval for human anatomy and physiology and she stated "these courses will fulfill human physiology but not human anatomy so I advise you to take human anatomy class"

HOWEVER, when i went there to the interview a few weeks ago (mid November) Dr. Voorhees told me that the letter from department chair in biology department from my undergraduate univerity stating that these courses are equilvalent of human anatomy and physiology is the ONLY THING they will accept to approve.

So I just cold called the biology principal advior (who i've never met and I graduated 2 years ago so I'm not there anymore) at my univeristy told me they dont send out those letters and SCCO should review the syllabus and makes decision by themselves.

Then, I emailed Dr. Munroe and she just told me that even she said that she approved that back in july, it does not matter because "even if I did, her authority trump mine" WHY SHE COULDNT TELL ME THAT BACK IN JULY??? only to find out with time for 1 semester!

So i try to register those classes now for spring, but all community colleges near me requires human anatomy before I can take physiology class so i cant take those two courses at the same time. Plus, summer schedule is not out yet and last year's summer schedule went beyond the opening date of SCCO.

WHAT CAN I DO??????????? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
So...you haven't taken either class then? You didn't take the anatomy class after Dr. Munroe advised you to?

This is really tough. You can try talking to Dr. Voorhees, but I found that SCCO tends to play hardball with this kind of stuff.

You can try talking to the community colleges to see if they will make an exception for you or help you to make things happen. :-\ Sorry that this happened to you.

OP
I
Aug 9, 2009
Status
here are more complications.
because she told me it will fulfill physiology class i was just planning to take human anatomy on next spring
Dr. Munroe told me that i might be able to appeal or submit the petition if human anatomy does not get approved(of course no appeal or petition exists not sure why she said it) so "encourage me to apply early before dec 1" so i applied on early oct.
so i was waiting to see if i can get approved for human anatomy, physiology class wasnt even on my plan because she approved
and plus, if i am force to take those two courses, I have to quit my opt tech job and
most importantly, im on waiting list so after quitting and taking two extra classes, i might not get in at all so i am just trying to get approve at least physiology class but
Dr. Voorhees has not respond to my email at all.

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
Ok, well step one, CALL Dr. Voorhees. For some reason, when all you do is try to correspond by email, it doesn't exactly scream "devoted!" to me. So try calling her.

Step 2. Talk to Dr. V and tell them that you would have to quit your job and kind of see if they'll give you a hint or not about exactly how eligible you are. Like if the only thing that's keeping you from admission is your prereqs. Because if you get into school, it won't matter if you quit your job now or in June. Unless, that is, you are entirely responsible for your bills...which can be hard to pay with no job.

Have you applied to any other schools? Just because you don't get into SCCO doesn't mean you won't be admitted to another fine school.

Apr 8, 2010
Status
Hello, I was somewhat in the same boat. I needed to take anatomy and physiology but couldn't get into any community colleges. Dr. Munroe brought this school to my attention:

http://www.integratedscienceprogram.com/

Obviously I don't know your current location, but if you're around the OC area this could be useful. I took both courses there, and the classes are weekends only so you should still be able to work weekdays. Only downside it, each class is about $2000. So if you're desperate, and in the area, there's always this option.

OP
I
Aug 9, 2009
Status
mewcakes, its my interview score that got me on the waiting list. its nothing to do with pre req courses. and they wont know my ranking on waiting list until they finished their interview process which is around May.
SCCO has been my top choice. just got admission to Western (not sure if i really want to go there because even tho they really impressed me at the interview, heard too much negatives stuffs online). Have an interview at ICO on late Jan but really want to stay close to LA.

Octodocto, thanks for that school. never heard it but really expensive! do you know if their classes get full easily? because i see that they have classes that start on june and wondering if i can wait until i hear from SCCO until late april or may

Apr 8, 2010
Status
Well I registered late for both anatomy and physiology (only 4 weeks each!) and didn't have a problem. There were a good amount of students, as I think more are learning about this school's existence. Yeah it's outrageously expensive, and they're definitely taking advantage of desperate science students, but it's an option.

thecgrblue

Enjoyin' the journey
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2009
Status
Just to help you know your options. BYU offers a wide variety of Independent Study courses for about $100/ credit. These classes are reputable and almost every university accepts their transfer credits. NCAA athletes use to take the courses all the time until a policy change.

Here is an anatomy class

http://ce.byu.edu/is/site/courses/university.cfm?subject=Physiology+and+Developmental+Biology

You can also do your Microbiology pre-req through this same system (just not the lab).