What to do summer before med school starts?

Started by Moe_Oh1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Moe_Oh1

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! I have recently been accepted into medical school, and was wondering what you all did/suggest to do the summer before medical school. Thank you in advance!
 
I went on two vacations! One in Hawaii, one abroad. Highly recommend. I also read a bunch of good books (not reading up on medicine), which I liked because I didn't have a lot of time for reading for pleasure once I started.

I worked until a month before starting -- if you can stop earlier, that's probably a good idea but it was fine for me to have a one week vacation during work and the other vacation after.
 
I went on two vacations! One in Hawaii, one abroad. Highly recommend. I also read a bunch of good books (not reading up on medicine), which I liked because I didn't have a lot of time for reading for pleasure once I started.

I worked until a month before starting -- if you can stop earlier, that's probably a good idea but it was fine for me to have a one week vacation during work and the other vacation after.

Love it! Thank you for the reply!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I actually think I worked until nearly the last minute - maybe took one or two days off. I realized that would be my last real paycheck for a while, so wanted to maximize. I realize though that strategy may not work the best for everyone... There is nothing wrong with taking a little bit of vacation before hand though!