What to do until I start med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-
This past week I got my first med school acceptance (U of MN-TC). This semester and next I'm finishing up my MPH degree. Due to my position as a research assistant, my classes are paid for, and I only have to take a single one-credit seminar next semester. Would anybody recommend that I take a class or two to help prep for med school? Or am I just crazy and would do better just spending the time goofing off?

Thanks,
Adcadet

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would chill out and rest up. If you want to take a couple of classes, then I would take them pass/fail if possible because you could get the knowledge without the intense pressure of knowing you need to get an A. If you think about it, this will be the only time you get to rest for the next several years so enjoy. Travel a little if you can afford it after the app process.

Congrats. Given the marathon you're embarking on, I would suggest finishing your MPH and using the rest of your time to enjoy life and recharge. At least then you 'll have pleasant memories to look back on as you wade through med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm finishing my mph this semester too. a lot of people, both med students and faculty alike, told me that taking extra classes before med school started was just flat out pointless, and if anything just relax and gather your energy, you're going to need it in 9 months.

stop working. have fun. start partying. come to atlanta, we can all have a "we've been accepted" binge straight till orientation :D

Congrats Adcadet!
By all means do NOT (NOT NOT NOT) spend your last months of freedom "taking extra classes to prepare for med school". Just relax, finish up your MPH, and have fun!

Have as much fun as humanly possible so that you will be ready to buckle down and work when med school starts.

Originally posted by racergirl
Congrats Adcadet!
By all means do NOT (NOT NOT NOT) spend your last months of freedom "taking extra classes to prepare for med school". Just relax, finish up your MPH, and have fun!

i can't tell you how wrong you are. study your ass off! save yourself!

j/k lots of love to my racergirl buddy.

now that you are in, it's time to relax for the next few months.

also you can warm up some withdrawal letters

"i'm writing to let you know that you are a great medical school, but unfortunately there were many good medical schools this year. this is letter is no reflection on your ability to teach medicine. best wishes to you with your applicant pool."

ENJOY YOURSELF! I have personally found the first semester of medical school to be the closest thing to self-inflicted torture. So, get things in your life in order and spend plenty of time with family and friends. You will be very busy once medical school starts. Good luck :) .

man i'd love to give a med school some of their own medicine by rejecting them and "wishing them best of luck in their medical school instruction" or some sh&t like that.

Goof off while you still can.

I actually would recommend taking a class or two if there's gaps in your knowledge. Some of the classes in med school give a really superficial treatment of some important topics, or don't delve as deep as you would go in, say, a cell bio class.

If you have no compelling reasons to take classes, though, goof off and personally investigate the enzyme-catalyzed oxidation of ethanol. ;)

Well, I'll be devil's advocate and say take a class or two, especially if you have any serious gaps in your knowledge. Maybe take them pass-fail, as someone suggested. Here's why: it WILL make your life easier in med school. I'm in the middle of my 2nd year and, with the exception of Neuro and Gross, have breezed through most of my med school classes. Since I had to reapply twice, I ended up taking tons of post-bac science classes before med school. It's paid off: I haven't had nearly as much new material to learn as many of my classmates and have been much less stressed as a result. The only classes that have really stressed me at all are anatomy and neuro- both of which require tons of memorization and in which I had very little background.
If you decide to do this, the most high-yield classes are Biochem and Physiology. Avoid anatomy or embryology, as the undergrad versions of these are very different from med school. If you took a class or two on a pass-fail basis, that should still leave you plenty of time to goof off and enjoy life before med school.

Originally posted by kd
Well, I'll be devil's advocate and say take a class or two, especially if you have any serious gaps in your knowledge. Maybe take them pass-fail, as someone suggested. Here's why: it WILL make your life easier in med school. I'm in the middle of my 2nd year and, with the exception of Neuro and Gross, have breezed through most of my med school classes. Since I had to reapply twice, I ended up taking tons of post-bac science classes before med school. It's paid off: I haven't had nearly as much new material to learn as many of my classmates and have been much less stressed as a result. The only classes that have really stressed me at all are anatomy and neuro- both of which require tons of memorization and in which I had very little background.
If you decide to do this, the most high-yield classes are Biochem and Physiology. Avoid anatomy or embryology, as the undergrad versions of these are very different from med school. If you took a class or two on a pass-fail basis, that should still leave you plenty of time to goof off and enjoy life before med school.

I think this is what I was thinking of doing (I like school, classes are essentially free, and I want to make my first two years easier), but was afraid the consensus would be that this is just plain crazy.

Or if you want, you can come to class with me. I could also lend you some of my stuff for you to study, that's if you are self-motivated.

Being a deferred matriculant, I've been relaxing and enjoying it. My photography and other pursuits keeps me occupied.
Do what you feel is best for you, but I agree with most in that you should try to relax as much as you can

Sit on the beach, Corona (or other beverage) in hand, carefree. It will be the last time...at least for a long time, if not ever.

Fight the urge to be a gunner. If you try hard enough you can lose it forever before you even start.

P

Take a language class. You won't really have time to work on your foreign language skills once you get in, so if you want to speak Spanish or Mandarin or Swahili, this is your chance. If you like classes, I think this is well worth it.

Or, consider taking something in the arts or something physical, like tennis or tai chi or pottery, so you have a mechanism for letting out stress after you enter.

If you are really interested in some bioscience area, and want to take one (not two or four) class, I'd encourage you to do it. It may help, and if you are anything like I was, you may be feeling like you wished you could start right away. This will give you a way to stave off your craving for the wonderful world of intense studying.

Remember, the people who recommend doing nothing probably find that more fun that taking a class, but if you really enjoy classes (and not just the idea of taking one, but the actual process of spending time studying), you can have fun that way too. Enjoy.