What to do when "burning out" ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxMoonMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I guess I kinda asked for it...did the last 350 UW questions on saturday trying to simulate a day at the test center and though I think I scored quite ok (~62% avg., ranging from 56%-72%), today I feel like I´m losing track of the whole thing.
Started readiing neurology in Fa this morning and finished after approx. 3 h, then read a bit pharmadynamics/-kinetics in Katzungs (which I always postponed) and reviewed some self-made pharm flashcards.

Well, after 5h (more likely a bit less) I couldn´t motivate myself to do some more questions. Wanted to go over UW again, because I think doing random questions and reading the explanations is the best way to retain and repeat multiple subjects.
But I can´t force myself...my test is in 3 weeks..I think I have to take a break for a day or two, so I get enough energy for the final 2 week crunch.

Ever felt the same way? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I guess I kinda asked for it...did the last 350 UW questions on saturday trying to simulate a day at the test center and though I think I scored quite ok (~62% avg., ranging from 56%-72%), today I feel like I´m losing track of the whole thing.
Started readiing neurology in Fa this morning and finished after approx. 3 h, then read a bit pharmadynamics/-kinetics in Katzungs (which I always postponed) and reviewed some self-made pharm flashcards.

Well, after 5h (more likely a bit less) I couldn´t motivate myself to do some more questions. Wanted to go over UW again, because I think doing random questions and reading the explanations is the best way to retain and repeat multiple subjects.
But I can´t force myself...my test is in 3 weeks..I think I have to take a break for a day or two, so I get enough energy for the final 2 week crunch.

Taking one day (or evening) off every week or two is not a bad idea. This is a marathon -- you need to pace yourself to peak on test day.

Hi guys,

Hello! I'm feeling the same way. You have to give yourself a break, a day should be enough per week since exam is fast approaching. I'll be taking step1 in less than 6 weeks. And do questions... don't get tired of doing them. Think of happy thoughts. :laugh: That's what I do. Now, I'll include a daily exercise routine to keep good hormones circulating in my body. Oh geez... This is one roller coaster ride. But we'll get through it. :) Good luck! God bless you! :luck:

Hello! I'm feeling the same way. You have to give yourself a break, a day should be enough per week since exam is fast approaching. I'll be taking step1 in less than 6 weeks. And do questions... don't get tired of doing them. Think of happy thoughts. :laugh: That's what I do. Now, I'll include a daily exercise routine to keep good hormones circulating in my body. Oh geez... This is one roller coaster ride. But we'll get through it. :) Good luck! God bless you! :luck:

Hi Avemar,

thanks for your input.
I did the NBME4 today to take a look where I´m standing and scored 470 (211), which is fine for me and gave me a moral-boost for the last 2 1/2 weeks till exam.
I´m shooting for 220, which I think is possible to achieve with the time I still have.