What to do when prereq's are done...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmgrl5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Providing that I don't change my plans for how my courses will be laid out I should be done with everything by May 2010. I have spread things out a bit more and will have done 3 years plus 2 summers by the time I get to May of 2010. Question is, if I plan to apply in the Fall of 2010 for admission in Fall of 2011, what do I do during that year between? I can't take time off because I'll have to start paying back student loans and can't really afford to look at doing that just yet. If I'm majoring in Biology do I just push ahead and try to get more of those classes done during that time? Even if I did that I still wouldn't be able to graduate in Fall 2011 with a BS, would be short a few credits. Not sure what I should look at doing during that year.

Anyone care to share what they have done or are doing in a similar situation? Or what they plan or hope to do? What I should do? Thanks for any input! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Providing that I don't change my plans for how my courses will be laid out I should be done with everything by May 2010. I have spread things out a bit more and will have done 3 years plus 2 summers by the time I get to May of 2010. Question is, if I plan to apply in the Fall of 2010 for admission in Fall of 2011, what do I do during that year between? I can't take time off because I'll have to start paying back student loans and can't really afford to look at doing that just yet. If I'm majoring in Biology do I just push ahead and try to get more of those classes done during that time? Even if I did that I still wouldn't be able to graduate in Fall 2011 with a BS, would be short a few credits. Not sure what I should look at doing during that year.

Anyone care to share what they have done or are doing in a similar situation? Or what they plan or hope to do? What I should do? Thanks for any input! :D

I recommend continuing your progression to a Bachelors Degree. It is getting harder to get in without a degree and I imagine in 2010, it will be even more competitive. Therefore, you should have a plan that includes how to improve your application should you be denied acceptance. Graduating with a Bachelor's and gaining pharmacy experience are two steps in the right direction.

It never hurts to plan ahead!

You can take the classes required for the BS degree in Biology and apply for pharmacy school at the same time. If you get accepted before you finish with your BS, you can take some elective classes like art, physical education, music, etc...at a CC for a cheaper tuition. You just need to be half time student so that you won't have to start paying your student loans until you start with pharmacy school. If you don't get accepted as expected, you can still work on your BS degree and then reapply for pharmacy the next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you just apply in '09 for Fall 2010? That way you'll have the summer off and then start in the Fall again. You don't have to be completely done your Pre-reqs before you apply.

with 3 years and 2 summers of classes, theoretically, you should be well on your way to completing all the courses required for a BS in Biology and with all pre-reqs.

Having a BS degree gives you something to fall back on in case you don't get into pharmacy school as well as making you more competitive with other applicants. So go for it! There are also schools I know of which have a 3 + 1 program that allows a student to do 3 years of undergrad, and go into a professional school, and after 1 year into professional school, they'll transfer enough credits back so you can obtain your BS degree, and you'll already be 1 year into pharmacy school. Check out your school to see if they have anything like that.

Why don't you just apply in '09 for Fall 2010? That way you'll have the summer off and then start in the Fall again. You don't have to be completely done your Pre-reqs before you apply.

Reason why I was thinking of waiting was in hopes that my GPA would be higher after finishing all the prereq's. Guess that could work against me as well but isn't applying prior to finishing your prereq's harder? Added pressure I guess is what I mean? Seeing that it's fairly far off still I know I could possibly change my mind on when to apply.

Anyone have experience with applying prior to prereq's being done? Is it harder in any way or does it work out just fine? Guess the thing I'm worried about is being overly stressed about my remaining semester that would be going on while applying. If that makes sense. :laugh:

with 3 years and 2 summers of classes, theoretically, you should be well on your way to completing all the courses required for a BS in Biology and with all pre-reqs.

Having a BS degree gives you something to fall back on in case you don't get into pharmacy school as well as making you more competitive with other applicants. So go for it! There are also schools I know of which have a 3 + 1 program that allows a student to do 3 years of undergrad, and go into a professional school, and after 1 year into professional school, they'll transfer enough credits back so you can obtain your BS degree, and you'll already be 1 year into pharmacy school. Check out your school to see if they have anything like that.

I will do that, sounds like a good option to have! :D

Forgot to add that I'm wondering how difficult it would be for me to take the PCAT if by that time I'm not done with prereq's. I still would have OChem 2 and Microbiology to take, how would that effect my PCAT score? Anyone know?

Most people apply before they finish all of their pre-reqs so they can enter into pharmacy school the following year. For example, most people who are attending or hoping to attend pharmacy school for Fall 2008 are just now finishing up their pre-reqs this spring and summer, yet they started applying in Fall 2007. Obviously, that is not everyone, but I would say that is most students. If you do not want to take a year off, it seems like the best option in my opinion.

You really only need Organic Chem 1 for the PCAT and you can always get a cliff's notes Micro book for that, however there aren't many Micro questions. And the Micro questions I had, I think you would be able to answer if you had Bio 2.