Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What to do when you shadow?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by coffeerunner, Dec 5, 2008.

1. coffeerunner

Pre-Medical
    I know this question has probably been asked, but what do you guys actually do when you shadow a physician? Is it okay to just stand there?
    I know you are there to "observe" but I feel like I should be "doing" something also. Lately I've been shadowing a wonderful family medicine physician who has let me get really hands-on with patients, so I feel lucky in that sense. But in general, what have you guys done to get more active during shadowing?

#1 coffeerunner, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. ILikeFood

ILikeFood NSU Class of 2013
    10+ Year Member

It's okay to stand there. The point of shadowing is really to buddy up to the doc and ask him/her questions about the profession. You know, so you can get a nice LOR.

3. txprodigal

2+ Year Member

Stay out of the way, act like a shadow, and don't look/act bored. If you're in the clinic, ask a question or two when the time is right (don't interrupt the doc when he's talking to the patient). If you're in the OR, try not to fall over from standing up for so long...

4. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    One thing that paid off for me was to be useful to the nurses and office staff. You'll have 10-15 minutes away from the doc all the time, when he/she gets on the phone etc. And if that physician's staff doesn't like you, there goes your LOR. Do room prep. Go on a coffee run. Send thankyous to the staff as well as the doc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...