What to do while waiting to start pre-reqs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wdwrn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-trad (RN, 27yo) and will be starting back to school for pre-reqs not until Spring 2015, or possibly even Fall 2015. My question is, what can I start doing now? I know I can't jump too much into it, but there has to be something to take advantage of. I was considering getting an MCAT book for the new behavioral section and reviewing that (I was a social sciences major a long time ago and have those courses done!).

Does this sound like a good idea or am I getting too ahead of myself here? Any general thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a non-trad (RN, 27yo) and will be starting back to school for pre-reqs not until Spring 2015, or possibly even Fall 2015. My question is, what can I start doing now? I know I can't jump too much into it, but there has to be something to take advantage of. I was considering getting an MCAT book for the new behavioral section and reviewing that (I was a social sciences major a long time ago and have those courses done!).

Does this sound like a good idea or am I getting too ahead of myself here? Any general thoughts?

You can always volunteer or do some shadowing. Always be working on those ECs.

As for the MCAT, buy a good prep book before you start your pre-reqs and take it to every class. Makes notes in the book as you proceed through the sections in your courses. Then when it comes test study time, you'll have it all in front of you.

I was told this is the "secret" to cracking the test and what I've done throughout my pre-reqs.

If you don't plan on re-taking any social science classes in your return to school then refreshing/relearning that information is a good idea. However, when you start officially studying for the MCAT (toward the end of the pre-reqs), you should re-study the social sciences (in other words don't make this your only social science study time 1-2 years prior to taking the MCAT).

You could also work on getting your self back in school mode by taking an on-line course through Coursera (free on-line classes). I usually recommend Coursera because it is structured more like typical classes in that it has deadlines for assignments, quizzes, etc. They have a variety of courses (even some you will see in your pre-reqs taught by professors from reputable universities (Duke, Stanford are 2 that come to mind).

There are other on-line options you can use such as Khan Academy (another good resource you can use while taking pre-reqs). It is less like an actual classroom in that there is no set schedule. However, if you feel rusty (less than high school level bio., chem., and lower level college algebra/pre-calc) you may want to refresh the material. Khan Academy is good because they have good instructors who do a good job conveying information. There isn't a set schedule or order in which you have to take classes. If you feel comfortable with something, you can just skip the section.

It depends on how comfortable you feel with your current knowledge base. If you feel like you are lacking somewhere then you may want to review it. If you don't plan on re-taking the social sciences that would be a great start. This way if you forgot more than you thought, you will be able to incorporate it into your plan of attack.

Finally, if you are comfortable with your ability to study and your current knowledge base, then enjoy your time before starting classes. You are about to dedicate 8+years of your life (at least 1 year pre-reqs/MCAT, 4 years med school, min. 3 years residency depending on your specialty) to your education/training. Before you start this adventure, you may want to enjoy your time while you have it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely start getting involved with volunteer and clinical experience. Depending on what your source of income is and will be through your post-bacc, you might consider an option like getting your EMT to get some actual paid clinical experience while working your way through pre-reqs. I wouldn't get too far ahead with MCAT studying. It's unlikely you'll retain much before you're really ready to go full into the MCAT. That said, I found it helpful to skim through books as I was working through the pertinent courses, to see what concepts were heavily emphasized at least in the prep materials.

Again though, establishing contacts for shadowing, getting involved with some volunteer experiences, and planning out the build of a robust, comprehensive application will be in your best benefit.

Good luck! Welcome to the club ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that shadowing and volunteering are going to be most important, but I thought your post was more in terms of preparing for the education aspect.

By RN, I assumed you meant registered nurse. If that is the case I think you could forego the EMT suggestion above. I figured you would have accumulated a number of clinical hours already (which will look great on an application). Some would say you could skip the volunteering because you are getting on the job clinical experience. However, volunteering is more altruistic, which ADCOMS appreciate.

Ahh, I missed the RN point... suppose I should work on my reading comp in preparation for the MCAT. Disregard the irrelevant pieces of my prior post.