What to do with a year off????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hxexn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well I am graduating with a Bio degree this may, out of all the schools I applied to this year I got waitlisted at two. I know my ranking at one school (pretty sure wont get in) the other school I am waitlisted at doesn't give a ranking (or maybe they do give a ranking but I haven't gotten one yet).

So my question is...what to do with my year off until I reapply. I know that you can take the pcat again or re-take some courses, but other than that is there anything else you can recommend that would make me a better applicant for the following year?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Well I am graduating with a Bio degree this may, out of all the schools I applied to this year I got waitlisted at two. I know my ranking at one school (pretty sure wont get in) the other school I am waitlisted at doesn't give a ranking (or maybe they do give a ranking but I haven't gotten one yet).

So my question is...what to do with my year off until I reapply. I know that you can take the pcat again or re-take some courses, but other than that is there anything else you can recommend that would make me a better applicant for the following year?

Thanks

Definitely pharmacy experience. They love to see that you are truly interested in the career. If your PCAT was low you should retake that. Re-taking courses won't boost your GPA very much but it shows that you wanted to improve your application. I hope you get in off those waitlists so you don't have to re-apply!:)

I was in your shoes last year.....graduated with a BS in biochem, waitlisted for pharmacy school, pretty much lost with what to do until I could reapply. It was very disheartening to be waitlisted/eventually denied, but now I feel like it has been a great break and prepared me to face 4 more years of school.

What I did with my year off was work really hard between May-Aug to improve my application. I applied to a Master's program, MS in secondary education with a concentration in chemisty. I ended up disliking my school's program and am currently taking public health courses. I joined several professional organizations (I got my CphT license last spring). Met with the dean of my top choice school (also where I was waitlisted at). Began working full-time at an in-patient pharmacy.

I think this helped me get accepted because my graduate gpa was awesome (4.0), got lots of experience, and I applied ED so I got my acceptance letter back in Oct! I found that it pays off to work really hard right now and then chill out for a bit. Good luck with your academic endeavors!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what everyone else said. Work work work in a pharmacy related career. If you need to retake some pharmacy prerequisites do so. I too applied to pharmacy school after taking a year off for undergrad.. which turned into 3 years. I didn't get in the first year worked first as a pharmacy clerk (w/o a tech lic.) then got CphT retook some prerequisites and reapplied. I got in this year. Most schools it depends on the program, but they look favorably on pharmacy related work experience. It shows that you are really commited to the profession.

Like everyone else said, work as much as possible. Get exposed to the profession more. Take on more leadership roles (i.e. becoming a senior technician, or something equivalent to that). From this, you not only gain invaluable pharmacy experience but you are also creating networks, finding a potential LOR, and confirming within yourself that Pharmacy is the choice for you.

I did not have stellar stats - but my experience in the pharmacy is what helped during the interview (in answering questions, etc.), and kept my head above water as I tried applying for the third time. Because I knew that this is THE choice for me.

I agree with what everyone else has said....get pharmacy experience if you don't have any. Last year I didn't have RX experience, so that is what I did. This year I got accepted. It not only helped on paper, but also during the interview. It also allowed me to get excellent LORs and lots of advice. Better luck next year!!

As others have said...get a job.

One thing you should bring up at any future interview is to talk a bit about not getting in this past year and say that you feel it has done you good as you have been working and therefore have more experience in "pharmacy". But what is probably equally important is perhaps to say you really were not ready last year and that working full time....or working and taking additional classes has helped you become more disciplined and much better organizationally <- interviewers will like that statement. But be prepared to back it up with examples.

Yeah, I also just graduated with a BS in Biochem last year and have had a whole year off. It hasn't been too bad because I have the chance to work full time as a pharmacy tech to get more experience + knowledge of the field. It's amazing how much you get to learn about pharmacy + all the people you get to meet and about their experiences, too. There's a lot you could do, if you don't have any pharmacy experience-get certified/ start working in a pharmacy, volunteering is always good if it's in a pharmacy or even like volunteer events that help out the community. No matter what you decide to do, it's true that it really helps during interviews because you end up having so much to talk about with the admissions committee. I have to admit that being off from school makes me want to go back + motivates me to make the next big move towards becoming a pharmacist. Good luck!

I've been getting senioritis from working, haven't you daraling? I've essentially had the whole year off to apply because I went to school part time in summer and fall and graduated in December, and I've been working at the same time too. (I would have just gone full time in the summer but alas the classes I needed were not available all at once..grr). I actually think that worked out well for me. I only needed to reschedule one test for an interview since I only had two classes and I work in a pharmacy so my boss was super understanding about letting me off to travel for an interview. I am so glad I got the pharm tech job I have learned so much about what the job is going to be like from the retail standpoint. It will be really valuable having work experience in the interview..plus you can save up a little for the following year when you will be in school!

Yeah, I also just graduated with a BS in Biochem last year and have had a whole year off. It hasn't been too bad because I have the chance to work full time as a pharmacy tech to get more experience + knowledge of the field. It's amazing how much you get to learn about pharmacy + all the people you get to meet and about their experiences, too. There's a lot you could do, if you don't have any pharmacy experience-get certified/ start working in a pharmacy, volunteering is always good if it's in a pharmacy or even like volunteer events that help out the community. No matter what you decide to do, it's true that it really helps during interviews because you end up having so much to talk about with the admissions committee. I have to admit that being off from school makes me want to go back + motivates me to make the next big move towards becoming a pharmacist. Good luck!