What to do with close to a year off of school when already accepted!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tripple88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

To start off, I applied in the 2011 application cycle and got no interviews and acceptances. I was a biology major at NIU and have a strong background in biology.

After not being accepted to a dental program I was accept to MWU-IL Masters of Arts in Biomedical Sciences. I completed the first quarter of that program with a 3.5 GPA, and love all the knowledge I gained out of it.

On December 1st I was accepted to MWU-IL and put on the waitlist (#11) at IUSD and Midwestern actually was the one who suggested that I should drop out of the Masters program. I also called Indiana and they say that me completing my masters program was not contingent on me maintaining my status on the wait list. So I ended up dropping out of the program, which has saved me around $28,000.

Now my question is how do you think I could utilize my time off for the best? I have a packet of immunology notes that I want to go through, but I was also thinking of possibly buying dental decks, if those would even help? I am planning on traveling a bit and making some money but I do wanna stay a bit productive. Any suggestions would help out a lot! I need to know how to spend my time preparing for dental school in the most efficient way possible.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Work a bit and travel.
If you want to help people while traveling, there are some volunteer abroad programs out there.

First, congratulations!

How about doing everything you've wanted to do but didn't have the time to while you were in school? You should enjoy the well-deserved extra semester. For one, I'm learning how to live on my own without school cafeteria or maids. Also, traveling, reading, relaxing... make memories you can look back on during stressful times in dental school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! I just graduated from NIU this semester. Dental applicants are a limited breed at NIU! I know two others there who have applied to dental school, but that's it. Anyways, I'm roughly in the same situation since I just graduted and have been accepted to SIU. My plans are to work as much as possible, do a bit more shadowing, and absolutely read up on my A and P, biochem, and maybe a select few other subjects. Good luck at MWU-IL.

Last edited:
I'm not in school at the moment. The advice I've gotten from students and dentists is use this time to enjoy life. Do things you now that you won't be able to do in dental school.

What kinda question is that ?? Do whatever you want !

Don't study before d-school. That is what undergrad and the DAT was for. Whaterver you learned there will carry you through school. If you study immunology you'll definately do better when that section comes around but you'll have wasted a lot of time over-studying. Its just not worth it.

if you want, maybe lightly read anatomy (not so much physiology) and lightly read biochem used textbook? that's what im doing for fun, as well as a bunch of other hobbies ive wanted to get into. studying seems to be more of a waste though as most d-students will tell you

Dont study one thing!!!!! just relax and enjoy the free time while you have it. i mean it!

Thanks for all the replies!!! So it sounds like the consensus is to just sit back and enjoy myself. Thats probably what Ill end up doing i just didn't want to be behind the game compared to everyone else. The first quarter I took at midwestern really helped me out because it helped me completely transform the way I study which was really nice! But yea, Traveling and relaxing is what I now have planed for the next 7 months!

Thanks for all the replies!!! So it sounds like the consensus is to just sit back and enjoy myself. Thats probably what Ill end up doing i just didn't want to be behind the game compared to everyone else. The first quarter I took at midwestern really helped me out because it helped me completely transform the way I study which was really nice! But yea, Traveling and relaxing is what I now have planed for the next 7 months!

i thought about the same thing but after reading all these threads it seems useless to study. Its not like you'll know what to focus on or what the exams are like. Also be honest... how much do you reallllllllllyyyyy think you'll study? :rolleyes: :laugh:

Its probably best to relax and enjoy life before you give it up for 4 years. Plus if you dont intend on specializing then all you need are grades above C's to graduate. Whether its an A or B, it wont matter at all. I figure i'll work hard during the first 2 years, but really go into overtime mode in years 3 and 4 because when I go out and join the workforce I want to be as comptent (on the clinical side as possible.)

I dont see myself specializing (since i'm pretty old) and I'd rather keep my hair gray free :)

I'm in a similar boat. I'm applying for dental school my senior year since I decided on the career path fairly late, so if I do get accepted during that cycle I'll have a year off before I go to dental school. I'll probably pick up a job waiting tables or something to make a little money and just enjoy life a bit. I'd love to travel but I'm not sure with what money I would do it with. Maybe graduate in May, work for a year until the following summer, and travel a bit in that summer. I may be thinking to far in advance though...

I've been trying to get a job with an airline so I can make some money and fly for free. Even if its part time, that's more time I can travel. If it's full time, more money. For now I work at an outdoors store so I can get my snowboard, camping, clothing, shoes, backpacks, and other gear for really cheap through prodeals.

I wouldn't sit at home because your brains seems to turn to mush even if you're reading books and doing stuff to challenge it.

On December 1st I was accepted to MWU-IL and put on the waitlist (#11) at IUSD and Midwestern actually was the one who suggested that I should drop out of the Masters program. I also called Indiana and they say that me completing my masters program was not contingent on me maintaining my status on the wait list. So I ended up dropping out of the program, which has saved me around $28,000.

wait wait... the schools suggested you drop out of your masters?
I am currently struggling to finish my masters, and my acceptance letter stated that my offer was contingent upon completion of a secondary degree.

i would MUCH prefer to withdraw out of my program so I can work and counter some of the massive tuition costs, but i thought this would be totally out of the question?

During my year off I just worked, but every cent went towards the DAT, AADSAS, and interviews/app fees. So, hasn't been as exciting as I planned -_-

Definitely take a trip if you can, and just relax. Every D1 I talk to is stressed to the max. That time will come, for now just relax. Catch up on some movies you want to see, read some books for pleasure, go on dates, etc. Your free time will vanish in dental school

I'm going to buy a copy of SWTOR on the 20th. This pretty much sums up my plans until dental school.

I wouldn't sit at home because your brains seems to turn to mush even if you're reading books and doing stuff to challenge it.

Haha great point. Those first couple weeks back at school after a summer are always the hardest to stay on track. Not to mention it is still nice outside at that point. I'm hoping that isn't the case in dental school since we all actually want to be there.

Relax. Travel. Party!!!

Just don't do any studying in preparation for D-school.