What to do with LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mathkitten

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this has already been asked. But I was wondering what do most people do when they get their LORs? I'm meeting with a professor and I'm not really sure what to tell him to do with it once he's written it...

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

1. prepare your CV/resume with the most updated information
2. write a rough draft of your personal statement
3. collect unofficial transcripts from your institution
4. make an interfolio account/pay for more than 1 year subscription
5. give all of this paperwork to your prof and give him/her a hard deadline that you need it by (make sure deadline is sensible like 1-2 months out)
6. send out formal request from interfolio
7. check in on them and make sure they received the request
8. bug him/her for every week they are late on turning in for deadline
9. send updates/thank yous during your app cycle in case they need to update a letter, change the date or call your schools
10. good luck

You could just tell your professors to keep your letters on file. Tell them that you will be applying sometime in June/July and that they will receive an email from the AADSAS portal about submitting a letter of evaluation electronically (This is the fastest way rather than paper letters). If your professor is more comfortable sending a hardcopy there is an address on the AADSAS website to send them to.

Email your professors every month or so before your application date to remind them about the letter and remind them that they will receive an email soon once the app opens up.