What to do with pre-med reqs that are only required at some schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harposnarpo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduated, but never took calc/stat (had AP credit) or english 2.

Should I list these as future courses? I'll take them in the future if accepted to the schools that require them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That's exactly what I'm doing for calc 2, but which school requires biochem 2?!

I'm thinking now. If I apply early, and base my Spring enrollment (this would be post-bacc since I'm graduated) on if I still have a chance at getting into a school with these pre-reqs, do I put the courses on the AMCAS?

I mean, I won't enroll at all if I've already been rejected.

neurocirujano: My bad, I mean biochem lab.

yea, im confused about whether to put these possible future courses on amcas...in my case, i will only take calc II if i get into (or at least an interview at) harvard....but if i put it on there, will other schools wonder why i ended up not taking it? or is it common practice to put pre-reqs of some schools onto the future courses section..can i do this even if it doesn't appear anywhere on my transcript? thanks

Community college.

yea, im confused about whether to put these possible future courses on amcas...in my case, i will only take calc II if i get into (or at least an interview at) harvard....but if i put it on there, will other schools wonder why i ended up not taking it? or is it common practice to put pre-reqs of some schools onto the future courses section..can i do this even if it doesn't appear anywhere on my transcript? thanks

That's exactly what the future courses section is for, so schools can check and make sure you know their prereqs and are planning on fulfilling them. And I would think it'd be exceedingly rare for schools to cross-check your app with your final transcript -- adcoms and their staffs have better things to do. And if according to your final transcript you met the prereqs, didn't make any F's, and graduated with a degree the fact that you at some point planned on taking Spanish but instead took Art History has no practical bearing on anything. Besides, no one takes an advanced calculus for the sheer fun of it so it's completely understandable your not taking it if you don't have to. It's not a sign of weakness or anything in my opinion.

Community college.

But what if the pre-req is something like Quant or Inorganic, those types of classes are usually not offered during the summer. Is there a chance a med school would let you defer a year to get all your pre-reqs done?

I'm graduated, but never took calc/stat (had AP credit) or biochem lab.

Should I list these as future courses? I'll take them in the future if accepted to the schools that require them.

I think if there is a class required by many med schools that you are applying to, then you should take it sooner than later. If only a few schools require calc or biochem lab, then you can either wait until accepted or just not apply to said schools.

I think if there is a class required by many med schools that you are applying to, then you should take it sooner than later. If only a few schools require calc or biochem lab, then you can either wait until accepted or just not apply to said schools.

And which schools even require this biochem lab?

my bad {edits original post}. Looks like it's just calc/stat/english 2 then.

I'd recommend that you definitely take an english course in your senior year, two semesters of english are required at a LOT of medical schools, you'll save yourself a lot of grief by not having to take it in the summer. Calc and stats are not required by too many schools, so you can get by w/o taking it this year and see which school you end up deciding on, then taking it in the summer if you really need it.

EDIT: Albert Einstein requires biochem lab.

does it look better that your app has all of the required classes completed prior to applying?

Or does it not matter whether you have them or will be taking them?

I suppose the benefit is that if you do well, they will see that?