gebremaryam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
Hey, I will be working towards my undergraduate degree in premed, but I'm a bit worried, just in case I will not be accepted in med school, what I can do with my premed degree? What is the job market like for a premed grad? What kind of jobs I could expect on getting?

Thanks. :)

ChiaPet312

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
NJ
Status (Visible)
i was wondering, your school offers a pre-med degree? i was under the assumption that there was no such thing as a pre-med degree. when students are premed, they're following the premed route (taking the core requirements for medical school), but not pursuing a premed degree. they can get a degree in anything else so long as they follow the premed route and take all the required classes.

if you're majoring in biology or chemistry, you can always work in a lab. there are a bunch of agencies out there that will help place you with a position (joule, kelly scientific, labsupport).

alot of ppl with science degrees also go into teaching for a short time. you can get an emergency teaching degree in an inner-city and teach in the sciences. it's great b/c you get benefits almost immediately and the schedule is awesome.

g'luck

About the Ads

gebremaryam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
Hey Chiapet312, I will be studying biology, chemistry etc. in a community college and later transfering to a university to complete a B.S. degree.

I have been browsing several university sites and they usually list a specific premed program along with programs in biology, accounting etc. So there's no premed B.S. degree afterall? Well, good to know. I'm still a bit out of the studying concepts in the US.

And oh yes, what to do with such degree, whatever it's called? Is there other options than lab work or teaching short time? I have a family to support...

LOL @ BaseballFan... B.S. in this case doesn't mean bullzhit...

BaseballFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
Status (Visible)
Often science backgrounds can be useful in obtaining consulting jobs, where analytical thinking is a key component of the work.

There are lots of good lab jobs that can support a family too.

You could also go into nursing or another health-related field- for example, you could get a masters of public health (MPH) and work in that arena.

Good luck!

smuwillobrien

15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm not sure for the States, but here in Canada having a B. Sc. degree is something that makes you highly regarded. The job market here is much better for a random B. Sc. applicant compared to a random B. A. applicant, and that is a fact. I'm worried as well that I'll end up with a degree I hate if I don't get into medicine, but hopefully it won't come to that; and if it does, well, then I'll deal with it then. ;)

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i hope you can change to another major.

compared to other science degrees like a biochem/genetics/immuno/neuro...i cant see how a person with a general premed degree would fare really well trying to get a scitech job or get into a good grad school.

carrigallen

16th centry dutch painter
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2003
Status (Visible)
I suggest not deciding on ANY major until at least the end of your freshmen year. =)

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Major in English Literature, History, or anything that trains you in reading and writing...I found those to be more useful than a major like mine that goes over endless amount of scientific paper that I have no interest in, and that will probably be outdated within 5 years...

DD214_DOC

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by CalBeE
Major in English Literature, History, or anything that trains you in reading and writing...I found those to be more useful than a major like mine that goes over endless amount of scientific paper that I have no interest in, and that will probably be outdated within 5 years...

:thumbup:

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Major in whatever catches your fancy. There is no need for a pre-med major. As long as you can complete the following while in school, you're set:

1 yr bio + lab
1 yr gen. chem + lab
1 yr orgo + lab
1 yr physics + lab
1 yr English
1 semester of calculus or statistics

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
CHANGE MAJORS NOW! You can get a degree in premed, but I think is unwise. As you have already alluded to, there isn't much to do with it unless you get into med school. Also, some med schools see a premed major as indicative of someone who did not leave their options open for other courses of study and perhaps made a hasty decisions about medicine (granted this may not be true, but it is what some of them think). Good Luck!

tautomer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by celticmists18
CHANGE MAJORS NOW! You can get a degree in premed, but I think is unwise. As you have already alluded to, there isn't much to do with it unless you get into med school. Also, some med schools see a premed major as indicative of someone who did not leave their options open for other courses of study and perhaps made a hasty decisions about medicine (granted this may not be true, but it is what some of them think). Good Luck!

I've heard this is the case as well. You may want to consider doing something a little more broad.

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
LA2DC and back again...
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by gebremaryam
Hey, I will be working towards my undergraduate degree in premed, but I'm a bit worried, just in case I will not be accepted in med school, what I can do with my premed degree? What is the job market like for a premed grad? What kind of jobs I could expect on getting?

Thanks. :)

Investment Banking, Sales, Lab Tech, Administrative Support, Customer Service...

Same thing as with any other 4 year degree.

gebremaryam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
Hey guys and gals, thanks for all the replies! They've been really helpful. :clap:
My situation is good, since I have not done anything final yet. Now I know better.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hehe, i don't know some schools have premed majors, I think its actually restrictive more than helpful. There's been a great deal of discussion on what kind of major one should have prior to applying to med school and the unanimous reply is "whatever you want" aslong as you complete all pre-med requirements.

Anyway, these days in CA, its pretty hard to find any jobs out there that have decent pay for a B.S. degree in any science. Most of my friends were biochemistry majors, and most of them stayed here after graduating to just work in a school lab. While other's tried to make due with what they've got and venture into the real working world. I do not believe any of them are doing anything relating to Biochemistry. At most one works at Genentech. But thats about it.

For me, I'm a post-bacc student, and also a research assistant so that keeps me employed and going for a higher degree if needed. I think the bachelor's degree has decreased in value over the past few years, especially with the falling economy. Consulting may be a possibility, but this seems to be more of a master's or Ph.D thing rather than a bachelor's role, since undergraduate degree's, at least most of them are highly generalized relative to master's programs and Ph.D programs. I would think if someone wants to consult on something, they'd go to an expert, rather than an undergrad.

Mr. Reddy is pretty correct, getting a B.S. in electrical engineering, or something in engineering seems to yield more jobs for the undergrad. My fellow students in the biomed engineering program seem to all have jobs lined up at places like Hewlett Packard, and stuff. So looking good there. While the biology majors here seem to at best hope for a summer internship. I'm sure there are those that do find jobs, but its not frequent. :(

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.