What to do with tax return

Started by pedstar09
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pedstar09

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Simple question: Tax season is upon us. What should I do with an expected tax return? I do anticipate significant increase in living expense from next year. Should I save it for that? Or, should I put it in accounts such as Roth IRA, HSA that I will not anticipate to be used in years to come? Or should I try to pay off some extra student loans?
 
A lot of this depends on where you're at in training. There is, however, one answer that could be sometimes helpful:

309728B09D1231310A4501F778AC28B1.jpg
 
Simple question: Tax season is upon us. What should I do with an expected tax return? I do anticipate significant increase in living expense from next year. Should I save it for that? Or, should I put it in accounts such as Roth IRA, HSA that I will not anticipate to be used in years to come? Or should I try to pay off some extra student loans?

What is your loan interest rate?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just below 6ish. And yes, Vegas is not a bad idea afterall, maybe make enough money to repay that student loan?! 😛
 
Simple question: Tax season is upon us. What should I do with an expected tax return? I do anticipate significant increase in living expense from next year. Should I save it for that? Or, should I put it in accounts such as Roth IRA, HSA that I will not anticipate to be used in years to come? Or should I try to pay off some extra student loans?

What about hookers in Vegas?
 
Simple question: Tax season is upon us. What should I do with an expected tax return? I do anticipate significant increase in living expense from next year. Should I save it for that? Or, should I put it in accounts such as Roth IRA, HSA that I will not anticipate to be used in years to come? Or should I try to pay off some extra student loans?
Save. Save now. Save until it hurts. Save.

Get into the habit of saving any bonuses and/or windfalls, especially if you have access to tax-advantaged accounts like a Roth IRA or an HSA. You can thank me in 20 years. I am quite thankful today I that back in 1997 I was saving like..., like, ummmm, like Mariano Rivera.

Oh, and next year don't loan the federal government money interest free. Adjust your W4 or your 1040-ES or whatever so you are withholding slightly less than necessary. The penalties only kick in if you are short by $1,000 or more, and that's only if they notice. I under withheld for 5 years in the early 2000's (paying some pretty big tax bills every April 15th) before the IRS finally dinged me with a small and quite reasonable penalty and encouraged me to use 1040-ES the following year.