What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thrombus

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you do when a hospital tells you that you no longer have the contract and that Quest/Ameripath does?

Then the next day you get a call to work for them for pennies on the dollar?

Anyone?:mad::mad::mad:

Members don't see this ad.

it may be happening to me or a friend of mine. why the heck would i tell you? just looking for some advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you do when a hospital tells you that you no longer have the contract and that Quest/Ameripath does?

Very few options. Find another gig and wait for the same to happen there... or, alternatively, do what labor in other industries have done for generations -- organize.

When you do not have the benefit of patient (or provider) self direction, you are afforded very little natural protection by doing a good job, doing the right thing, etc... and are more subject to the abuses of suits. The only option left for certain specialties is to organize more effectively... something that will be difficult to achieve.

Contact the presidents of the cap, ascp, and uscap. Ask where the shortage is and let them know you are ready to go/move your family. You are an energetic board certified pathologist ready to step up to fight the shortage!!! They definitely have a list of cities that need pathologists. Just get the list. I am sure they will be very helpful.

In reality nothing. Take the money until you can/if find a better gig. Obviously the job market is crap and being unemployed for an extended period can happen easily. I sure has heck wouldn't worry about customer service anymore.

Maybe through in some thank you letters to "leaders/program directors" who have managed to put pathology on the bottom of medicine.

Hold it...WHAT?!

please give an absolutely full account of the situation. There isnt more to this story, there is a 12-volume series of works you arent telling us that would rival the History of Middle Earth in terms of its breadth.

Are you currently an employee of a group that sold the practice to Quest? If so, welcome to the jungle. Look for a new job and dont let the door hit you on the way out.
Are you a partner in a group that was somehow just replaced by Quest out of the blue? And I find this ABSOLUTELY implausible unless you are a team of total losers.

this thread is so bizarre we need more info or we need admin to close it for random fear mongering (which Im opposed to, I only post factual fear mongering:smuggrin:

Not a very plausible scenario. Bordering on a troll post.

No fear mongering.

Hospital decided it wanted cheap quest medicine. Quest apparently decided to bid for hospital AP/CP contract and got it. Group was told the contract was not being renewed. Next day Quest calls and offers job.

I will not say if this is me or a friend. Sorry. Don't have all the details. I can say the area is in the central/mideast part of the country

The way I see it is you can go to hospital admin and try to get contract back but risk job from quest. Or you can take quest job until something better comes up. No buyout.

No fear mongering.

Hospital decided it wanted cheap quest medicine. Quest apparently decided to bid for hospital AP/CP contract and got it. Group was told the contract was not being renewed. Next day Quest calls and offers job.

I will not say if this is me or a friend. Sorry. Don't have all the details. I can say the area is in the central/mideast part of the country

The way I see it is you can go to hospital admin and try to get contract back but risk job from quest. Or you can take quest job until something better comes up. No buyout.

a couple things. my hospital just transitioned tissue processing from an "ameripath" facility which i/we used to own when we were a large private practice and has been around for decades to quests facility 90 miles away to consolidate and "save money".
it is a disaster and my impetus for retiring. Our "old" facility was great and understood the service and immediacy needs that hospital practices demand/require.

needless to say, the new Quest histo facility is used to pap smears, cervical bx's and such crap and have no idea what a hospital practice requires.

that is largely why i am retiring-i'm not going to have my 25 year reputation as the hospital pathologist/med director screwed because of their incompetence.

what this all boils down to is that Quest is generally incapable of supporting the requirements of hospitals/surgi centers once they move histo operations to one of their own facilities ( as opposed to an ameripath facility that is geared to hospital requirements). they have lost my hospital because their contract was contingent on my being medical director. they lost a surgi center we (ameripath) had for decades and they will lose more. they cannot meet the demands of anything other than doctor offices who are happy with 5-7 day TAT. hang in there.

also, consider making a counter offer. probably won't work though. they really love to see folks like me who have been around forever getting $400K+ and grabbing a new hire for $200k. but when they lose the contracts simultaneous with loss of the pathologist they may think twice.

No fear mongering.

I have never in all my journeys heard of such a situation as the one you describe. Quest would not do that. There are too many moving parts, not the least of which what would happen if all the current pathologist left town and "spiked the railroad tracks" as they left. No hospital in their right mind would ever risk that. A determined pathology group of any reasonable sense could initiate total chaos in such a situation which is why you only very RARELY see this even in cases where the pathologists themselves are well known idiots.

A.) Pathology contracts at most hospitals are not put out to OPEN bid randomly. Once a group assumes them, they are typically set on an Evergreen type system (ie CLOSED bid). Only in absolutely DIRE circumstances are contracts re-opened once Evergreened more than 1 or 2 cycles. I have tried to bust into contracts where the group not only appeared to be dying, it didnt have a pathologist alive there in a seat! And still the admin deferred to their Evergreen cycle until the group hired someone or got a locums. I figured my success was almost a sure thing, nope. So if I am there kicking down doors like Seal Team Six and still couldnt breech, there is no way Quest (a giant incompetent guerilla for the most part) did this in the manner you describe.

B.) Therefore, the plausible explanation is that the group managing PARTNERS invited Quest into negotiations. These partners took a little something away, some call these Dead Presidents, and then arranged a meet between Quest and the Admin to seal the betrayal. The partners then sold out their clueless employees knowing full well the employees would get a 50%+ salary slash to Quest slave levels.

C.) The partners who know sooner or later the gig will be up are likely listing their homes for sale and planning to retirement to Costa Rica right this very minute.

Here is the big WTF: What exactly is the hospital getting for cheaper with Quest?? if the hospital already has a TC component, then the pathologists are direct billing to Medicare ANYWAY. Switching pathology groups doesnt save you money here. The ONLY possible savings would be on the Medical Directorship fees, which any Admin type worth anything knows you get what you pay for! Especially since Admin is what they do. I doubt they would hit DEFCON 1 to save 100K...

^^^ How is radiology different then? Serious question, I don't know -- but I do know of more than one instance wherein the scenario laid out by the OP has played out in radiology departments...

I can't believe that the administration wouldn't give the pathology group a heads-up--for the sake of appearances, if nothing else.

Switching pathology groups doesnt save you money here. The ONLY possible savings would be on the Medical Directorship fees, which any Admin type worth anything knows you get what you pay for! Especially since Admin is what they do. I doubt they would hit DEFCON 1 to save 100K...

Wake up smell the coffee man.

There are lots of hospitals willing to toss you under the bus for a 100K.
These days Ameripath may be offering to do it for free. They are desperate for business.

Wake up smell the coffee man.

There are lots of hospitals willing to toss you under the bus for a 100K.
These days Ameripath may be offering to do it for free. They are desperate for business.

Perhaps. perhaps. But for a 100K there is no way in sane admin would create that sort of bitter anger in the community.

Its simple risk vs. reward. A truly angered, self righteous jilted pathologist can inflict alot of damage on a hospital and its staff...I fear such types.