What to do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiringdoctor_56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first semester, I failed a chem course and barely got through with a gpa of 1.8 getting C's in my science classes. I was highly unmotivated, didn't see where I wanted to go with my major. Now I see that I want to switch to psych. My second semester I aim at getting high B's in my classes (retaking the failed course) so I am gonna get a gpa of 3.2 hopefully. This would make my frosh gpa a 2.9. I've heard things about upward trends and blurring the effect of a bad semester. So I have the option of taking a course to enter my major in the summer raising my cum gpa to a 3.2 assuming I get an A. Here's the problem: I really want to have an upward trend throughout college. I'm taking orgo next semester but also might taking harder upper level bio courses which might bring my gpa down say to a 3.0 if I get lower than a 2.9 my soph. Year. Am I focusing too much on the upward tend or should I work my ass off to get A's in upper level bio courses to create an upward trend? Or should I take psych with harder courses to not make the frosh gpa so high(3.2)?

Members don't see this ad.

You simply need to learn how to do better in your classes.

It sounds harsh but B's are not good enough. You need to make A's in the vast majority of your classes, especially with a rough start. An upward trend can help with a lower GPA. Ex: If you have a 3.5 but have made a 4.0 for 2 years straight. But past that your overthinking it.

You want to have a 3.5 at minimum to not be answering questions about your GPA. So you need to make A's and a lot of them. Start now. Take whatever combination of classes will help you in accomplishing this.

Do as well as you possibly can in all of your classes and don't worry about trends as much as you currently are.