What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdn24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently pursuing my phd in pharmacology with about one year left after this year. I'm at a stand still because I don't know what type of job I want after I graduate. I know that I don't want to do a post doc(might as well get another degree). I want to have options if that makes any sense. Initially I was gonna do pharmd/phd but I don'tknow if that will even be worth doing. I would love to stay in the south for my career. I even thought about med school or pharmacy school after Ifinish my phd but I still don't know what I wouldwant to do with those degrees. I would like to have options because I get bored with things easily.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently pursuing my phd in pharmacology with about one year left after this year. I'm at a stand still because I don't know what type of job I want after I graduate. I know that I don't want to do a post doc(might as well get another degree). I want to have options if that makes any sense. Initially I was gonna do pharmd/phd but I don'tknow if that will even be worth doing. I would love to stay in the south for my career. I even thought about med school or pharmacy school after Ifinish my phd but I still don't know what I wouldwant to do with those degrees. I would like to have options because I get bored with things easily.
Not really sure how to reply here, as there's not really a question being asked.

However, MedTox is all about clinical care of the poisoned patient. Need to be an MD/DO with fellowship training, or a PharmD with the DABAT accreditation.

PhD toxicologists exist, but typically in a lab or industry (drug discovery, etc), and not involved in clinical care. I would expect your PhD mentor to have more information on that aspect than I.

Cheers & good luck!
-d

Semper Brunneis Pallium

If you're asking whether you should go to medical school or pharm school just to avoid boredom, then no. Go do a postdoc in something that's different than your dissertation work. That will give you something new to do, not to mention that you'll get paid instead of taking out tons of loans.