What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afn1

Reaction score
1- 4.0 Gpa
2-515 mcat score
3-Us citizenship
4- Middle Eastern?
5- Wayne State University Undergrad Biochem
6- Clinic Experience:
230 hrs of being an MA at a medical clinic
7- 200 hours of lab experience at a biochemistry research project
8- 50 hrs of shadowing- Dermatology, Family Medicine and Cardiology
9- Nonclinical Volunteering:
100 hrs tutoring kids in undeserved areas
300 hrs of delivering food and necessities to undeserved populations in Lebanon
10- Worked 500 hrs as a Prefect in a school summer camp.
Practicing basketball since 2007. Was captain of my high school basketball team
11- Chemistry Chairs Honors List for scoring in top 3%.
Deans List throughout all of my semesters.
12- I tend to spend all of my summers at Lebanon due to family reasons.
Mainly interested in most Michigan Schools (since I’m a resident).
Are my ec good with my stats? Should I take a gal year? What do you suggest!

Members don't see this ad.

You are fine to apply in June and I suggest these schools:
U Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Cincinnati
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Tufts
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
USF Morsani
Miami
NOVA MD
TCU

Reactions: 1 user
While I think you would have no problems with your in state programs:

Could you help me focus on your activities in the US as opposed to Lebanon? Food drive in Lebanon or in the US?

Check out the AMMSA chapter members at the schools on your list, and make the schools want you. Build more clinical and community service experience and get out of your comfort zone.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
While I think you would have no problems with your in state programs:

Could you help me focus on your activities in the US as opposed to Lebanon? Food drive in Lebanon or in the US?

Check out the AMMSA chapter members at the schools on your list, and make the schools want you. Build more clinical and community service experience and get out of your comfort zone.
Yes you’re right. It’s just I spent the months of May to August in Lebanon due to family reasons. I will be trying to do more non-clinical volunteering in the US, but with research, tutoring, school, and preparing for the mcat, I don’t know if I could fit in more while keep my gpa up.

Yes you’re right. It’s just I spent the months of May to August in Lebanon due to family reasons. I will be trying to do more non-clinical volunteering in the US, but with research, tutoring, school, and preparing for the mcat, I don’t know if I could fit in more while keep my gpa up.
Why are you retaking the MCAT? Your 515 is a solid score.

I do not think you need a gap year, with your stats alone, you should get several II's and most likely get in somewhere, especially in your state.

Rather than anything else, increase your shadowing hours. You appear to focus on underserved populations, with a slight focus on children so I would recommend shadowing a pediatrician to better tailor your mission-fit and experience first-hand what medicine in pediatrics is like.

I would also get more community service in the underserved populations in your community, especially for underserved and low-income children such as through Food Bank or other service centers in your community. This will produce a stronger mission-fit and a better purpose of why medicine is right for you rather than anything else!

Reactions: 1 users
Why are you retaking the MCAT? Your 515 is a solid score.
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that this is the practice exams score. I forgot to mention that. I just wanted to see your opinions on what to do, so I will still be working on mcat to see how much I could get. Will come back posting after I finalized everything. Thank you so much?

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that this is the practice exams score. I forgot to mention that. I just wanted to see your opinions on what to do, so I will still be working on mcat to see how much I could get. Will come back posting after I finalized everything. Thank you so much?
Thank you so much! Sorry it was a mistake.