What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MaryWrathers

Hi everyone.
I'm having a hard time figuring out my fall schedule.
Here's what I have so far:

-hospital volunteering
-part-time job 15 hrs mon-fri
-honors thesis (3-credit class)
-last required class for minor (3-credit class)

-research w/ a different prof in an area that doesn't interest me much (3-credit class) this will be my 3rd semester doing it
-either biology or chemistry. I've had chemistry before and got Bs, but am going to retake to get As. I haven't had bio since high school
-spanish 101 (I think this is helpful for many reasons)
-internship (this will be 3rd semester doing this), good LOR

So, my questions are....
-if you were to drop one thing from the list that is not in bold, what would it be?
-would you take bio or chem?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

MaryWrathers said:
Hi everyone.

-hospital volunteering

-research w/ a different prof in an area that doesn't interest me much (3-credit class) this will be my 3rd semester doing it
-either biology or chemistry. I've had chemistry before and got Bs, but am going to retake to get As. I haven't had bio since high school

So, my questions are....
-if you were to drop one thing from the list that is not in bold, what would it be?

Thank you.

Hi Mary, I'm no expert, but I think you should take biology instead of chemistry. The sooner you complete the required classes the better. All medical schools appear to require a year of college biology. If you have time, you can retake chemistry later.

As for the first question, I'm not going to comment other than to say that I think that you may be way overextending yourself and risking your GPA.

I'm with markt. Don't spread yourself too thin -- that might be worse than doing less. Taking bio seems like the best choice.

From a person who has taken many, many Spanish classes and speak mediocre Spanish (I'm not a native speaker or anything), I can tell you that taking just the first semester of Spanish won't help much. If you do plan on taking more classes in the near future (don't wait until you've forgotten everything to go onto the next course), then Spanish is a good option also.

Members don't see this ad :)
MaryWrathers said:
Hi everyone.

-hospital volunteering

So, my questions are....

Thank you.
As usual good advice from the group.

Finish the pre reqs and ace them. Most people have 1 year of off time after their acceptance before they start med school. For example. If you write the MCAT in august of this year (just past) then you will be accepted for the aug 07 starting year. If you do it this way you will have lots of time to get everything you want done.

The other option is to take the MCAT late in April and if you were accepted you could get in for that august.

Have a good one

MaryWrathers said:
Hi everyone.

-hospital volunteering

So, my questions are....

Thank you.

I agree with what everyone else has said. To play devil's advocate, though, I would point out that having a minor is of very limited benefit. But then again, you are very few credits away from one.