what to do.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon stewart

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, this has nothing to do with getting to eye school,

iv been wearing glasses since i was in 2nd grade.......and i am thinking about getting some contacts. I know i will have to go to the optomitrist, and have him/her check my eyes out. I was just wondering, does it hurt to put the contacts into your eyes? i looks painful? the eye is senstive, i dont see how poeple shove plastic into it. I know that these days they have the wear one day contacts and then throw them away, i was wondering how much wearing contacts is goona cost me? i am gessing its more than buying a pair of glasses in the long run. Can the contact get stuck int eye? Like can it go behind your eye if you rolled your eye? What happens if you accidently sleep with contacts? Can you use contacts while swimming? If someone were to punch you in the face, ie near the eyes, can the contacts shatter in pieces?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can answer your questions based on my eight-year experience wearing contacts, but an optometrist/optometry student can give you more excruciating detail...

I was just wondering, does it hurt to put the contacts into your eyes?
- At first it feels like there's something in your eye but eventually the feeling goes away and you won't even notice that the lens is there!

the eye is senstive, i dont see how poeple shove plastic into it.

- Yes, the eye is sensitive, but then your optometrist can prescribe a pair of contacts that best fit your eye. If for some reason the lens they give you won't work, they will either try another pair or maybe even not recommend contacts for you at all.

I know that these days they have the wear one day contacts and then throw them away, i was wondering how much wearing contacts is goona cost me?

- Go to http://www.contacts.com and you can get some estimates of how much each box costs. Popular lenses include Acuvue (all of them), Focus, and Softlens, but the optometrist may give you something else (it depends on your eye).

i am gessing its more than buying a pair of glasses in the long run.

- This is true. I spend roughly $370 a year for contacts + contact lens solution (~$50 every 2 months for lenses, ~$70 for solution). But it's well worth it, unless if LASIK is a viable option for you.

Can the contact get stuck int eye? Like can it go behind your eye if you rolled your eye?
- The lenses can get stuck sometimes, but that's only if your eyes are really dry. Just add some solution to get them off. I've never heard of lenses going behind your eyes though...I have yet to hear about that.

What happens if you accidently sleep with contacts?

- There are many risks involved with sleeping with contacts (and I heard that even the continuous wear ones also have some risks). So don't do it. If you do, just take them off as soon as you remember...it does happen sometimes but it's a terrible habit to get into.

Can you use contacts while swimming?

- You're not supposed to, but goggles are a good way to swim with the lenses on.

If someone were to punch you in the face, ie near the eyes, can the contacts shatter in pieces?

- If you're wearing a soft lens (which is the most popular type) I don't think that should be a problem. I don't know about hard lenses though...

alferec said:
I can answer your questions based on my eight-year experience wearing contacts, but an optometrist/optometry student can give you more excruciating detail...

I was just wondering, does it hurt to put the contacts into your eyes?
- At first it feels like there's something in your eye but eventually the feeling goes away and you won't even notice that the lens is there!

the eye is senstive, i dont see how poeple shove plastic into it.

- Yes, the eye is sensitive, but then your optometrist can prescribe a pair of contacts that best fit your eye. If for some reason the lens they give you won't work, they will either try another pair or maybe even not recommend contacts for you at all.

I know that these days they have the wear one day contacts and then throw them away, i was wondering how much wearing contacts is goona cost me?

- Go to http://www.contacts.com and you can get some estimates of how much each box costs. Popular lenses include Acuvue (all of them), Focus, and Softlens, but the optometrist may give you something else (it depends on your eye).

i am gessing its more than buying a pair of glasses in the long run.

- This is true. I spend roughly $370 a year for contacts + contact lens solution (~$50 every 2 months for lenses, ~$70 for solution). But it's well worth it, unless if LASIK is a viable option for you.

Can the contact get stuck int eye? Like can it go behind your eye if you rolled your eye?
- The lenses can get stuck sometimes, but that's only if your eyes are really dry. Just add some solution to get them off. I've never heard of lenses going behind your eyes though...I have yet to hear about that.

What happens if you accidently sleep with contacts?

- There are many risks involved with sleeping with contacts (and I heard that even the continuous wear ones also have some risks). So don't do it. If you do, just take them off as soon as you remember...it does happen sometimes but it's a terrible habit to get into.

Can you use contacts while swimming?

- You're not supposed to, but goggles are a good way to swim with the lenses on.

If someone were to punch you in the face, ie near the eyes, can the contacts shatter in pieces?

- If you're wearing a soft lens (which is the most popular type) I don't think that should be a problem. I don't know about hard lenses though...

This is a commmon concern amongst new CL wearers and the answer is NO, your lens can not roll back into the back part of your eye (and travel to your brain ;)). It is anatomically impossible. There is folding of tissue (ie your conjunctiva) that prevents this from happening.