What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmGreen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently attending a community college, doing my pre-req for pharmacy school. I just have a few questions.

1. Should I just continue doing my pre-req at the CC (would probably take 3 years :( ) and then apply for pharm school? Or should I complete the the transfer requirements at the CC, transfer to a 4-year after 2 years at the CC, finish up my pre-req there, and then apply to a pharm school? Would it matter?

2. I know that earning a Bachelor's degree would increase your chances of getting accepted into a pharm school, but that's 4 years plus another 4 years of graduate school. That doesn't really appeal to me (I'd really like to take the fastest track. I knew I should have taken the UOP 2+3 program!). So, what are the chances of getting into a pharm school with only the pre-req and no BS degree?

3. Lastly, the pharm schools i intend to apply to have different pre-req requirements :eek: . It would take me forever if I satisfied the requirements for each school. I've read some of the threads here, and some of you applied to both Western University and UOP which have different pre-reqs. How long did undergrad take you?

Thank you all in advance for helping out! :D

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan on applying in California a BS degree is a must. The recruiters I met at my USC interview told me that 99% of the students they accept have a BS degree and also California Pharm school are moving towards a BS degree as a requirement. I highly recommend that you get your BS since it will also help you in life in case you decide not to be a pharmacist. BS degree = more money no matter where you go.

PharmGreen said:
I'm currently attending a community college, doing my pre-req for pharmacy school. I just have a few questions.

1. Should I just continue doing my pre-req at the CC (would probably take 3 years :( ) and then apply for pharm school? Or should I complete the the transfer requirements at the CC, transfer to a 4-year after 2 years at the CC, finish up my pre-req there, and then apply to a pharm school? Would it matter?

2. I know that earning a Bachelor's degree would increase your chances of getting accepted into a pharm school, but that's 4 years plus another 4 years of graduate school. That doesn't really appeal to me (I'd really like to take the fastest track. I knew I should have taken the UOP 2+3 program!). So, what are the chances of getting into a pharm school with only the pre-req and no BS degree?

3. Lastly, the pharm schools i intend to apply to have different pre-req requirements :eek: . It would take me forever if I satisfied the requirements for each school. I've read some of the threads here, and some of you applied to both Western University and UOP which have different pre-reqs. How long did undergrad take you?

Thank you all in advance for helping out! :D

You don't go to graduate school for a BS, that's what you graduate from undergrad with. :rolleyes: So, you said it would be 4+4 of grad school for a bachelors, no it wouldn't be, thats what it would be for a masters!

Members don't see this ad :)
WeaponX said:
If you plan on applying in California a BS degree is a must. The recruiters I met at my USC interview told me that 99% of the students they accept have a BS degree and also California Pharm school are moving towards a BS degree as a requirement. I highly recommend that you get your BS since it will also help you in life in case you decide not to be a pharmacist. BS degree = more money no matter where you go.

Oh dear. Well I knew public schools and USC want you to have a BS, but I didn't think private schools like Western or UOP cared. It's just that 8 years of school seems like forever, ah. :eek: Thanks for your help. :)

kristakoch said:
You don't go to graduate school for a BS, that's what you graduate from undergrad with. :rolleyes: So, you said it would be 4+4 of grad school for a bachelors, no it wouldn't be, thats what it would be for a masters!

I meant 4 years of undergrad + 4 years of grad = foreverrrr. Sorry about the confusion. Have most of the people who are pharmacists now taken this road (4+4) unless they took a 3 year grad school program?

A friend of a relative did her pre-req in 2 years and went out of state for another 3 years of grad school. only 5 years. very fast and now she's a 23 year-old pharmacist. I just wanted to take the fast track too.

If you're hoping for a Cali pharm school, definitely get a bachelors. It's not all that bad. I'm finally getting my bachelors after a total of 5 years and I feel so much more prepared for pharmacy school. You'll become more academically mature with a bachelors and the first year or two in pharmacy school should go by much easier since you'll have better studying habits and a general background of some of the courses.... so long as you choose a biology, microbio or chem major.

ethyl said:
If you're hoping for a Cali pharm school, definitely get a bachelors. It's not all that bad. I'm finally getting my bachelors after a total of 5 years and I feel so much more prepared for pharmacy school. You'll become more academically mature with a bachelors and the first year or two in pharmacy school should go by much easier since you'll have better studying habits and a general background of some of the courses.... so long as you choose a biology, microbio or chem major.

I was just afraid that my brain would be fried after 8 years of school. But i guess you're right. Thank you! :) but what i wouldn't give for it to be only 5 years :rolleyes:

Look at it this way, you have your whole life to work. 8 years of school is nothing, if you are going for something to do. Trust me, live up these 8 years, this will be your last years to be a little irresponsible and get away with it. Once you are out working, that's it, no more skipping, going out on a weeknight (much less weekends), etc.

I guess i'll try for the Bachelor's. Thank you WeaponX, kristakoch, and ethyl for taking the time to repy. :)

kristakoch said:
Look at it this way, you have your whole life to work. 8 years of school is nothing, if you are going for something to do. Trust me, live up these 8 years, this will be your last years to be a little irresponsible and get away with it. Once you are out working, that's it, no more skipping, going out on a weeknight (much less weekends), etc.

hello kristakoch,

what you said is very true...sometimes, as myself feeling like i need to rush because others are way ahead of me...but to think of it, 8-10 years of studying to be a pharmacist is the only time we get to be in school....after that, only work and work...like my brother right now...he's a pharmacist and working his butt off, even over time, to pay for all kinds of bills...too many responsibilities...i'm still young so i should not feeling too rush only because those who are already in pharm schools....

annie