what to do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Su4n2, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Su4n2

Su4n2 Senior Member

i graduated last may, but want to take biochem and molec bio of developement to send to med schools in january. but if i don't get in and have to reapply again, how do i classify these courses? they are undergrad. thanx.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tweetie_bird

I am not sure why you're looking to get it done by Jan. You have until the day you matriculate to finish your requirements. So technically, you have almost a year to do all that.

I would classify that a post bac. Anything AFTER you get your major is called post bac.

4. Su4n2

Su4n2 Senior Member

the reason i want to get it done by jan is so that i can send it to med schools and hopefully improve my chances (which are slim) this application cycle. thanx for the info in case i don't get in. do the postbac science courses combine with the BCMP gpa to give overall gpa or is it seperate? this class is at the undergrad school that i went to, it is not graduate nor is it part of the official program. thanx.

p.s btw, thanx tweetiefor always looking out for us MCAT kiddies!

5. Green912

Attending Physician
    Good luck on your application. If you don't get in then the two classes will be considered Post-Bacc and will be listed separately with their own GPA on the AMCAS app.

6. Tweetie_bird

no probs! I like looking out for the MCAT kids. :)

so about the post bac--you're in good shape if you take it at your old univ. I took an EMT class at a CC AFTER I got my degree, and listed it as "post bac" on my AMCAS. So, in short, I had a "post bac GPA" and also my undergrad GPA went up because *I THINK* (look into it) it got included into the Under Grad GPA also.

7. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27

Resident [Any Field]
    really ? So if I finish my undergrad major (but not overall grad requirements) in three years but take a fourth year of other classes, all those fourth year classes count as post-bac? Or did you mean anything after you complete your reqs for your undergrad degree?

I finished my undergrad coursework a semester early, so my last semester I started courses for my MPH while finishing up my honors thesis. Man that was a fun semester...tons of work, but really interesting work. Sure took the sting out of getting rejected by every med school I was applying to.

8. Tweetie_bird

since you did not graduate (do'nt have a degree to show for it) you can't call it as Post Bac. But that's just my opinion from what I've heard. I could be wrong.

Tweetie

9. Fermi

Fermi Senior Member

Actually, I think you have to have a certain number of credits of post-bacc (something like 12 semester-hours) for that GPA to be calculated separately. I did the AMCAS in 2001 though, so my memory may be faulty. I only had about 7-8 post-bacc credits (2 classes) and there was no separate GPA calculated for them.