Quantcast

what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Su4n2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
i graduated last may, but want to take biochem and molec bio of developement to send to med schools in january. but if i don't get in and have to reapply again, how do i classify these courses? they are undergrad. thanx.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why you're looking to get it done by Jan. You have until the day you matriculate to finish your requirements. So technically, you have almost a year to do all that.

I would classify that a post bac. Anything AFTER you get your major is called post bac.

Su4n2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the reason i want to get it done by jan is so that i can send it to med schools and hopefully improve my chances (which are slim) this application cycle. thanx for the info in case i don't get in. do the postbac science courses combine with the BCMP gpa to give overall gpa or is it seperate? this class is at the undergrad school that i went to, it is not graduate nor is it part of the official program. thanx.

p.s btw, thanx tweetiefor always looking out for us MCAT kiddies!

Green912

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck on your application. If you don't get in then the two classes will be considered Post-Bacc and will be listed separately with their own GPA on the AMCAS app.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
no probs! I like looking out for the MCAT kids. :)

so about the post bac--you're in good shape if you take it at your old univ. I took an EMT class at a CC AFTER I got my degree, and listed it as "post bac" on my AMCAS. So, in short, I had a "post bac GPA" and also my undergrad GPA went up because *I THINK* (look into it) it got included into the Under Grad GPA also.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tweetie_bird

I would classify that a post bac. Anything AFTER you get your major is called post bac.

really ? So if I finish my undergrad major (but not overall grad requirements) in three years but take a fourth year of other classes, all those fourth year classes count as post-bac? Or did you mean anything after you complete your reqs for your undergrad degree?

I finished my undergrad coursework a semester early, so my last semester I started courses for my MPH while finishing up my honors thesis. Man that was a fun semester...tons of work, but really interesting work. Sure took the sting out of getting rejected by every med school I was applying to.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Adcadet

really ? So if I finish my undergrad major (but not overall grad requirements) in three years but take a fourth year of other classes, all those fourth year classes count as post-bac? Or did you mean anything after you complete your reqs for your undergrad degree?

I finished my undergrad coursework a semester early, so my last semester I started courses for my MPH while finishing up my honors thesis. Man that was a fun semester...tons of work, but really interesting work. Sure took the sting out of getting rejected by every med school I was applying to.

since you did not graduate (do'nt have a degree to show for it) you can't call it as Post Bac. But that's just my opinion from what I've heard. I could be wrong.

Tweetie

Fermi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck on your application. If you don't get in then the two classes will be considered Post-Bacc and will be listed separately with their own GPA on the AMCAS app.

Actually, I think you have to have a certain number of credits of post-bacc (something like 12 semester-hours) for that GPA to be calculated separately. I did the AMCAS in 2001 though, so my memory may be faulty. I only had about 7-8 post-bacc credits (2 classes) and there was no separate GPA calculated for them.