What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was waitlisted at my top choice for a doctoral program and then was informed that due to funding I would not be able to join the new class. However, they were extremely helpful with searching for research opportunities for me at the same university. I was offered a great research job, earning close to 30 K which I find amazing considering I am graduating this May with my BA.

However, I recently found out that I was accepted into a MPH. Since I had been rejected from other institutions, I started doing soul searching and took it as some sign as to why I had not gotten into the Clinical Psych programs. On the other hand, I was offered a job at the institution that I wanted to be in. I don't know if I should pursue the MPH and then pursue the doctorate if I think I am still interested or if I should work and hope to get into the program for 2010.

What are your recommendations? I would love to hear from people who have already gone through Master's and Doctorate programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you already have much research experience?

What would you have done if you had gotten in to both MPH and the doctoral programs?

If you think that hands down, you would have gone for the doctorate, then I think you should take the job and reapply next year. They definitely believe in you if they found an RA job for you. People all over this forum are struggling to find jobs like that. They are such a great stepping stone to graduate school. I'm wrapping up my 2nd year working as an RA and it was definitely the best thing I could have done straight out of undergrad.
It really helps you understand what is important to you in a program and get lots of quality research experience under your belt.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, public health and clinical psychology are very different fields and don't overlap much in terms of curriculum and research techniques. It's great if you decide to pursue an MPH and are looking at health and education related careers, but I wouldn't go into such a program looking at it as a possible stepping stone to a clinical psych Ph.D program. If you did move from one field to the other, you would have to explain in detail why you were making the switch. I'm also pretty sure none of the work would transfer.

Thank you for your input!! I think you have helped me lean towards the job. I do have various research experiences under my belt as an undergrad and had I been accepted into the PhD program to begin with, I would have taken it without any hesitation.

What kind of programs did you apply to?

I applied to 3 Clinical Psych PhD programs and 1 MPH. I know I should have applied to more programs but I did not really have the money to apply to a lot of schools. Basically, I saw it as, if I got in this year awesome, if not, I would try again until I got in.

I meant research-focused, balanced, clinically-focused, etc.--sorry if that wasn't clear. But 3 programs is a really small n to apply to, and you seem like you really *want* a clinical PhD, like that is where your heart is, so I'd say go for the RA position.

It sounds to me like getting a MPH would be settling for you and you may want the PhD again after you finish anyways. i think the research experience is a great opportunity and great way to get to know the professors so when it comes time to apply again you'll have a great advantage!