What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just decided that I may want to pursue a career as a pharmacist, so I just want to get a preliminary review as to what my chances for getting into a program for the 2011-2012 year.

I am graduating with a B.S. in psychology this May.
My GPA is 3.98.

The only sciences I have taken so far are 2 semesters of bio.

I plan on taking 2 semesters of chem over the summer. Then taking organic chem, physics, and calculus over the next year.

If I do well in these classes and the pcat, will I possibly have a good chance of getting in? Any advice on other things I can do to enhance my application will help.

Members don't see this ad.

I kinda think this is a joke, haha. If you do well in all of your classes and do well on your PCATS...you will have a good chance of getting an interview. Some people with 4.0's and great PCATS don't get in based on bad interviews. Make sure you have experience...at least shadowing, because the people they didn't get in (that i talked to) did not have any experience, also make sure your personal essay if good. Good luck!

Thats a big jump to go from psychology to pharmacy. If you get an interview after you are finished with your pre reqs, you better be able to convince admission committee why you switched to pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a big jump to go from psychology to pharmacy. If you get an interview after you are finished with your pre reqs, you better be able to convince admission committee why you switched to pharmacy.

Not really a big jump...I majored in Psychology- lots of physiology, neuroanatomy, and psychopharmacology in psychology these days... not to mention health psychology which is the new "trend" LOL The interviewers thought it was great that I majored in Psych (or so they told me). Remember, they do have psychiatric pharmacists.

Not really a big jump...I majored in Psychology- lots of physiology, neuroanatomy, and psychopharmacology in psychology these days... not to mention health psychology which is the new "trend" LOL The interviewers thought it was great that I majored in Psych (or so they told me). Remember, they do have psychiatric pharmacists.

I never knew that.

Well, geez, I want to go from arresting people to healthcare, and I have a seven year old degree in social and behavioral studies. Is that too big of a jump for you?

didn't mean to offend anyone

No offense taken. I just find it peculiar that on SDN a lot of people, particularly younger people (i.e., kids in college), are unable to fathom that others want (read: intend) to make a career change into areas they have interests in but never followed through on due to whatever curve ball life threw them.

It isn't so much of a stretch for me either. I worked off and on for years as a paramedic, and straight out of college I taught H.S. bio, chem, and advanced A&P. I have many credits in the natural sciences from a second concentraion I had back then.

No offense taken. I just find it peculiar that on SDN a lot of people, particularly younger people (i.e., kids in college), are unable to fathom that others want (read: intend) to make a career change into areas they have interests in but never followed through on due to whatever curve ball life threw them.

It isn't so much of a stretch for me either. I worked off and on for years as a paramedic, and straight out of college I taught H.S. bio, chem, and advanced A&P. I have many credits in the natural sciences from a second concentraion I had back then.

I have been out of full-time school for about 4 years now and i have an engineering degree. I have been a part-time student for a few years to finish my pre reqs. This is what I ran into during my interviews, they would ask why the big change and why pharmacy. So, I have some what of an idea of what that person is going through. Its hard to find a career you enjoy.

I have been out of full-time school for about 4 years now and i have an engineering degree. I have been a part-time student for a few years to finish my pre reqs. This is what I ran into during my interviews, they would ask why the big change and why pharmacy. So, I have some what of an idea of what that person is going through. Its hard to find a career you enjoy.

It is isn't it. :(

Depends on the type of person you are. You're probably looking at another 2 years of school before you can apply to pharmacy school.

If it's something you really want to do, then pursue it. The only person holding you back is yourself.

Good luck to you!

Also, it is very difficult to find something that you love doing. I received a B.S. in Hotel & Restaurant Management, and have been managing luxury hotels for approximately two years now. Love what I do and I am excellent at managing, but the amount of work you put into it compared to how much you get paid does not line up well together.

I'm on the same boat as well, returning to school in August. Currently studying for CPhT and afterwards I will undergo IV training. Hopefully I can obtain a hospital pharmacy technician job and receive opportunities to volunteer within the hospital. Just be sure you plan everything out ahead of time since you will only have two years (e.g. volunteer/work).