What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrs_doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a PGY-2 and facing suspension/termination because of below average ITE score. I am an average resident but my peers are stellar type of residents. I have only 1 bad evaluation from multiple.
I am seriously asking if:

1- Should i stick with my program and maybe face termination ( this will be decided in a few weeks or so. I am not on probation though )

2- Should I negotiate with PD and transfer to another program and restart PGY2?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the overall picture. Did you also score badly on the ITE your first year? Is your performance marginal even though only one eval has been bad? Do you have a reason for your poor performance on the ITE (didn't have a good study plan, didn't read enough, were sick that day). If you are generally doing well and have a reason for your test score that will respond to a reasonable remediation plan, I see no reason your program would terminate you (and why you should leave). You could prepare a plan for remediation yourself and discuss it with your program as an alternative to suspension or termination.

If on the other hand you are a marginal resident who has been squeaking by on most rotations because your evaluators are trying to be nice, and your scores have been consistently bad it will be a tougher sell. You claim part of the problem is that your colleages are such stellar residents, but is it possible they are the norm and you are below average? You need to take a hard look at yourself and be ready to discuss your performance honestly and be willing to come up with a plan for improvement if you want to continue training (at your program or anywhere else). Good luck.