What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DnK71188

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Before you read I must apologize for my grammar, I am on an iPhone.

This is my 1st time posting on student doctor, but not my 1st visit. I have reading several pre-pharmacy and pharmacy forums building my agenda for the next several years as far as education is concerned. I am currently in VA and starting a pre-pharmacy focus program at community college. This will be my 1st semester returning and I am very excited, but I find myself at a crossroads and here's why;

I am interested in the pharmd program at shannondoah university, but I am mostly interest in the MBA/pharmd dual program. Unfortunately they require you to have an undergraduate degree before enrolling in the MBA portion. Currently I am taking all the pre-req's for pharmd, but I don't feel that I will be ready for the pcats next fall. So I am thinking of applying to odu and getting an undergraduate degree in something I am interested in. But I also have the option to apply to su take some chem courses and have a BS chem. Unfortunately though I do not want a chem degree, so I was considering spending a year and a summer to complete my major at odu and take the pcats along with apply to SU pharmd program. I won't finish my odu degree until summer of p1, unless I doubled up part-time odu with full-time P1. I think I could manage it, my undergraduate courses would be online and my focus would be general finance and Econ. I should have my undergrad by winter of p1 just in time to app to the MBA program.

Are these sound ideas? My home life is pretty stable, my wife is very supportive of anything I do. I am expecting my 1st child which is very exciting. As far supporting ourselves my wife is graduating this year with a human services degree and jobs lined up, and I am waiting to take my ptc exam. I just wanted to get some advice to ensure I am making the right choices. I am mid twenties and finally have the ability to attend school so please comment!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My opinion in this matter is that you take the shortest route possible to enter pharmacy school. Once you're in you'll have the opportunity to work on the requirements for the MBA programs. You can always work on your MBA degree once you graduate from pharm school. With your current situation, it's best to get that chem degree than focus your time on studying for the pcat. It might take longer to achieve both degrees but you will not be overstretched this way as it seems that you'll also have family obligations to take care of in the near future.

Last edited: