What to Do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookleft

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a pre med, I really want to go into PM&R, but I did not do well on the Mcat. I have plenty of DO interviews, and think I will get into one of them. My question is if I do not get into an MD program and into a DO should I go DO or should I reapply.

I am not sure how competitive PM&R is and do not know if going DO will limit my chances of getting into a decent residency. Any input will help.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you can't get MD, then definitely go DO. As a DO myself, I have definitely benefitted from the strong musculoskeletal training, anatomy, and OMM in medical school. I feel more prepared for my PM&R rotations than previously thought. In terms of PM&R residency, this is one of the few fields where DOs are on playing level with MDs. You will find many DOs matching into elite programs (Thomas Jefferson, Spaulding, RIC, etc.) every single year. In fact, some doctors say that having the DO title gives you an advantage. Personally, I don't think a PM&R program is strong without having some DOs as faculty or residents. Do a search on different residency programs and you will find many DOs in there.

Good luck with getting into med school, DO or MD!

Thanks for the info. I was debating to work on an MPH if I don't get into an MD program, but it seems that going DO would be a good idea. Could you please tell me the cons and pros of going into DO, are there certian things I might want to know before I make a final decision. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im going into PM&R and have also heard that a DO degree can be of benefit.

As an aside- You should not limit yourself to just PM&R at this time(premed). Keep your options/mind open. As a DO you will have lots of options but as a US MD you will have more.

Please dont flame me DOs. Im a USIMG and think DO is definitely an easier road than the IMG route.

Work with a D.O. who uses a lot of manipulation. If you like what you see, then go for it. If you want a cozy entrance into the medical world, and have no interest in osteopathic manipulation, then be an M.D. They are equivocal except that D.O.s are able to treat many musculoskeletal problems with their hands and some M.D.s view this as quackery or else know little of a D.O. degree that it is viewed as less than an M.D. degree. You will run into criticisms being a D.O. in an M.D. world. Would that bother you? If you study hard and know your stuff, then it shouldn't. But yes, depending on what you want to go into, an M.D. degree is a safe way to be a stronger candidate when it comes to certain residencies.

Students from NYCOM have matched into spaulding (thats haaavaard ) as well as nyu rusk kessler, etc etc etc. I was shadowing a DO PM&R physian who had an MD fellow training under him. She actually told me that if she knew about the specialty of PM&R she would have gone to a DO school.
Go figure