What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anr982

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just completed my undergrad in biomedical sciences (with psychology minor) at USF (Tampa). So basically this is my second time applying to MD and DO schools (2012-2013). The first was the 2011-2012 cycle. That time, I applied WAY too late, getting my MCAT score and letters near the end of the cycle. In addition to that, my credentials were not stellar: MCAT a 26Q (10V, 8PS, 8BS), 3.41 cgpa, roughly 3.00 sgpa. I had surplus letters which didn't really make a difference. I applied to nearly all available MD schools and got rejected from all. I gave up on the whole MD process, and was advised to look at DO and off-shore schools. I basically walked into the most reputable Carib schools and also got offered two DO interviews, and was waitlisted but eventually rejected. I got my spirits up and tried a second time. By this time, I had research experience along with a capstone Honors Thesis, a slightly better gpa (3.45c, 3.1-3.2s or so). I also applied much earlier in the cycle, with all materials ready, unlike last time. I rewrote my personal statement. Like last time, I have considerable volunteering/shadowing experience with both MDs and a DO. I lost access to some of the MD letters I had before, and submitted a DO letter to this MD cycle. I plan to go for a Masters in Medical Sciences in the upcoming year at the same university as my undergrad as I await med schools' feedback. I'm set for St. George's U in Grenada in Jan 2013, and I think my chances to get into a DO school are not bad. I really want the MD, but am prepared for rejection and willing to pursue alternative options. Apologies if any of this is confusing, but if you have had a similar experience or can otherwise give any advice on what is the best course of action for me given these credentials, please let me know. I would like to take the MCAT again, but the timings have either been too early or too late. I also understand that the value of my stats vary among different MD schools, with some saying my MCAT is sufficient and others saying my gpa is solid. Thanks for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

It is very unlikely you will be accepted to MD schools.
As far as DO, your MCAT is just below average for DO (27). Your cGPA is average but your sGPA is below average. Some schools have minimum requirements of a 3.0 cumulative and science GPA and some say you need at least 3.2 to be competitive.
In conclusion DO is worth a shot, however, it would greatly increase your chances if you could raise your sGPA a little bit more. Apply broadly.
Your extracurricular is good, I think letters of recommendation from DOs can be extremely valuable to you.
As for the Caribbean, I would suggest not to go there for the obvious residency matching reasons.

It is very unlikely you will be accepted to MD schools.
As far as DO, your MCAT is just below average for DO (27). Your cGPA is average but your sGPA is below average. Some schools have minimum requirements of a 3.0 cumulative and science GPA and some say you need at least 3.2 to be competitive.
In conclusion DO is worth a shot, however, it would greatly increase your chances if you could raise your sGPA a little bit more. Apply broadly.
Your extracurricular is good, I think letters of recommendation from DOs can be extremely valuable to you.
As for the Caribbean, I would suggest not to go there for the obvious residency matching reasons.
Your feedback is much appreciated! I reached a similar conclusion. The MD slope is a bit too steep at this point with my stats, unless I take a few years off to bring them up. With the Caribbean I could become an MD soonest but at the cost of compromised residency options and accreditation and also challenges associated with being an FMG. The DO pathway seems to be the best middle ground as of now as its in the US, offers a high standard of education, and at least allows me to become a physician if not an MD. Thanks again!