What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdiddy89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to start applying in July of 2013 to different schools. My original plan was to study come May and then write the OAT sometime in July or August, that way I'm not rushing anything when studying. It just so happens, that I will now be participating in a volunteer humanitarian project in Africa from the start of May till mid July sometime. So, my question is, should I hold off on writing the OAT till September (fall time), or should I try and write it before I travel to Africa.?

I would like to write it before I leave in May, but don't know if I'll find the time, or if it is the best thing to do. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Can you just study for it now? And then take the OAT before May? Generally, people set aside about 2-3 months to study for the OAT and then take it. So if you have the time now, it doesn't hurt to start studying and then take it when you're ready (before you leave in May). Your application process goes by a LOT FASTER if you have your scores ready by the time you apply in July 2013.

Another plus to start studying for the OAT right now is that if you end up scoring lower than you wanted, you still have another 3 months to study and then retake it before leaving in May. (You have to wait 90 days between testing dates).

I would personally get the OAT done sooner rather than later. You never know what could happen. In my own personal experience, I got into a major car accident back in April (half way done studying for the OAT at this point) and was going through physical therapy for the past 7 months. I didn't have any strength or capacity for pain to sit and study during the past 7 months. So now I have to start from scratch again because I forgot almost everything that I learned 7 months ago. It's frustrating for me but I'd rather not have anyone else go through what I had to. So the sooner, the better lol. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Take it before May, the sooner is better so your whole entire application (including OAT Scores) will be ready when you apply in July. It takes a few months to study for usually. The longer you wait, the more info you may forget also, such as your math skills, reading speed, chem and bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take it before May also, especially if you're taking classes right now and next semester that will help. The sooner you take it after you've taken the classes, the more you remember - the less you have to review.

If you can allot time to study for it between now and May, I think you should do it before you leave for your trip. There's plenty of time between now and May to study, unless you don't think you'll have time (eg, working fulltime or something).

Props to you for planning so far ahead though!

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to start applying in July of 2013 to different schools. My original plan was to study come May and then write the OAT sometime in July or August, that way I'm not rushing anything when studying. It just so happens, that I will now be participating in a volunteer humanitarian project in Africa from the start of May till mid July sometime. So, my question is, should I hold off on writing the OAT till September (fall time), or should I try and write it before I travel to Africa.?

I would like to write it before I leave in May, but don't know if I'll find the time, or if it is the best thing to do. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I spent 6 months in South Africa/Namibia doing humanitarian work! I loved it! Glad you are going! Where are you headed?

Something I wanted to do while I was there was to shadow an optometrist. Sadly, my program never allowed enough free time to do so. If your program allows you and there are optometrists in the area, do it! I'd think it would look amazing to have that in your shadowing experience on your OptomCAS application.

I also agree with those saying to take the test before you leave. You will feel better while you are in Africa knowing that it is over! Plus, if you need to take it again, you will have more time to study for it when you get back.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I will definitely be writing the OAT before I leave! And Loptometriste, I will be going to Mozambique, with an organization called Care For Life!