What to eat for the big day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ebete

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I usually have a butter-roll and some milk, but I would like to eat something a bit more ...breakfast/energy/protein like. The roll right now doesn't cut it, makes me sleepy and I'm hungry 1 hour after. So if anyone has any good suggestions on what a good breakfast, snak and lunch would be for MCAT day, can you please share?
We have 3 weeks so I would like to see what works/or doesn't work (eggs give me the runs :eek: ...can you imagine that?)

Good luck! and Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

For the whole week before load up on pasta and complex carbs, they give you energy for the long run. Protein won't necessarily do the same. Other than that I would not make any drastic changes to your diet now. Now is not the time to try new things, especially on the big day. Be consistent with what you usually eat. I know a guy who is not a coffee drinker and since he had trouble sleeping the night before the test he downed a few (like three) cups of coffee the morning of the test. He ended up "running" through the test, had to void it and is now re-taking it in august....not a good plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i had waffles and OJ for breakfast and then my favorite sandwich and some OJ/water for lunch - plus a dessert I had bought at a bakery the day before. i had it all planned out :laugh:

just bring something you enjoy for lunch and give yourself a treat, definitely dont try any new foods, energy drinks, etc... on test day.

Arsenic810 said:
i think i had waffles and OJ for breakfast and then my favorite sandwich and some OJ/water for lunch - plus a dessert I had bought at a bakery the day before. i had it all planned out :laugh:

just bring something you enjoy for lunch and give yourself a treat, definitely dont try any new foods, energy drinks, etc... on test day.

What I think works great is the following combo... (from practice test trials)

Breakfast - 1 Hour before the test... Whole Grain Cereal (cheerio's) and milk (light on milk), 1 banana, a teaspoon of pnut butter (to fulfill the protein).
(Eggs give me terrible gas... :rolleyes: )

After Physical Sciences (during break) - 200mL of Orange Juice (get that glucose level up FAST for VR) and a banana.

Lunch - I eat an apple, pnut butter sandwhich, powerbar, and gatorade.
I eat it in that order. Apple for immediate rush of glucose, and the powerbar/sandwhich for slower release during the writing and bio section.

Break after Writing.... - 200mL of OJ and a jolly rancher...

It actually has worked out well. No adverse side effects (aka gas or the runs haha :) ), and has kept me awake and ready to kick the mcats butt.

That is exactly what i do and how i eat during the mcat.

PM me if you have questions.

adiddas125 said:
What I think works great is the following combo... (from practice test trials)

Breakfast - 1 Hour before the test... Whole Grain Cereal (cheerio's) and milk (light on milk), 1 banana, a teaspoon of pnut butter (to fulfill the protein).
(Eggs give me terrible gas... :rolleyes: )

After Physical Sciences (during break) - 200mL of Orange Juice (get that glucose level up FAST for VR) and a banana.

Lunch - I eat an apple, pnut butter sandwhich, powerbar, and gatorade.
I eat it in that order. Apple for immediate rush of glucose, and the powerbar/sandwhich for slower release during the writing and bio section.

Break after Writing.... - 200mL of OJ and a jolly rancher...

It actually has worked out well. No adverse side effects (aka gas or the runs haha :) ), and has kept me awake and ready to kick the mcats butt.

That is exactly what i do and how i eat during the mcat.

PM me if you have questions.

:thumbup:

its amazing how we all develop our own routine when it comes to something like what to eat on test day, i definitely think there's a strong correlation between being a little OCD and being a pre-med :laugh:

I am very regimented about my breakfast. I always have a bowl of oatmeal with either a cup of orange juice or a protein shake. I don't think you should change your meal for the big day, just pack a candy bar or so for the break between PS and VR.

Arsenic810 said:
:thumbup:

its amazing how we all develop our own routine when it comes to something like what to eat on test day, i definitely think there's a strong correlation between being a little OCD and being a pre-med :laugh:

LOL. I think anyone who is applying to medical school or taking the mcat in their point of college career is slightly above OCD. :D

I luv being OCD. At least for school stuff. :rolleyes:

Bowl of cereal for breakfast, bagel with sliced ham and water for lunch (no big or heavy meals to make me sleepy, nothing with even a remote chance of making me sick). Red Bull and sugar cookies before every section to keep blood sugar up..

i'm generally a light eater, so the night before the test, i ate two packets of salmon and a bunch of grapes. it was a bit heavy on the stomach, but i woke up feeling full of energy. i was the first one at the testing site, and ready to go. i ate a high protein clif bar for breakfast, along with a cup of coffee.

for lunch, i had a small banana, cup of coffee, and another peanut butter clif bar. i sailed through the writing section and had more than enough energy for the biology section.

try this and see if it works for you. i tried to do the carboloading thing during a kaplan full-length, and was very groggy for the entire testing day.

vitamin water throughout. chocolate just because it's yummy :p

i don't usually eat proteinbars/energy bars. do you think i should buy a few for test day anyways? i know kaplan recommends it.

I eat pasta several hours before the PS will begin. I have a piece of fruit after PS. I have pasta again for lunch. Plenty of low glycemic carbs are best