General Admissions & OTCAS What to expect (warning post is a brain dump full of questions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

othopeful19

Reaction score
So I started my application process late in the cycle which I am learning now may not have been my best decision, but I did not know. Most of my applications were submitted days before the deadline and I have still not heard anything. Which leads me to my many questions (sorry) Is this normal? Do most programs send an email saying that they have received your application? Or is it just assumed? I know that all programs get hundreds and hundreds of applications and it takes time to weed through those applications to figure out who the best candidates are. But does anybody have an idea of how long it generally takes until you hear something back? I have heard from 3 schools so far whether it be something wrong or missing from my app, a hold on my app or an interview, but I am starting to get really anxious. Lastly, I recently went through an interview and I felt good coming out of, but the next day I found out that I got waitlisted which was a giant bummer because it was one of my top schools. But, I do not know where I fall on the list (if there is one) because my application will be re-evaluated if and when a seat becomes available and they are unable to provide any information as to the likelihood that a seat will become available. Even though I am trying to stay positive I am beginning to doubt myself and not hearing from schools is not helping either. And I know that I am probably not the only person who feels like this. But, how do you deal with rejection or being put on the waitlist? And have you or do you know of anyone who has been put on the waitlist and ended up getting into a program? Thank you so much for reading all of the questions that are floating around in my head (but I know I am probably not the only one who has all these questions) and I hope to receive some responses!

Members don't see this ad.

The best advice I got when applying was to send the application and just let it float into whatever may come. I didn’t look at my email daily, and continued to live my life. That way, when interview requests came.. it was a huge surprise and excitement. And when I was accepted.. even more surprise. Anxiety will just kill you in this process. You can’t speed it up or do anything to change what happens, so best to just take your mind off it till then.

Being on a waitlist is better than rejection, and most people will move around on these lists with more acceptances coming. You stand a decent chance at an opportunity. I wouldn’t worry too much about it all.

The best advice I got when applying was to send the application and just let it float into whatever may come. I didn’t look at my email daily, and continued to live my life. That way, when interview requests came.. it was a huge surprise and excitement. And when I was accepted.. even more surprise. Anxiety will just kill you in this process. You can’t speed it up or do anything to change what happens, so best to just take your mind off it till then.

Being on a waitlist is better than rejection, and most people will move around on these lists with more acceptances coming. You stand a decent chance at an opportunity. I wouldn’t worry too much about it all.

What program are you in now??