What to expect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamlegend

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I called up some local dentist today for shadowing. One called back right away and told me I can come in tomorrow afternoon, which is exciting and intimidating. While I was on the phone with this dentist I asked what I should wear and he told me to dress normally. People say to dress formally on the first day and then ask the dentist what he prefers at that time. So should I wear a dress shirt, tie, and everything or normal casual clothing? Also, what should I expect to see and do tomorrow? Is there anyway I can prepare myself for tomorrow? Can you guys share you first time shadowing experiences. All feed back appreciated. Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

regardless of what he said about "normal", I would dress professional

he will probably give you a tour etc and even might let you assist with patients

best thing to do: show him your passion for the field

So it sounds like you dont know this Dentist...thats how I got cues on what to wear. Also I asked and they were pretty clear. I would go professional with tie and the works and when you get there if needed you can always take the tie off if you are wearing a flexible shirt.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd wear slacks, nice shoes and a button up shirt or polo. If he lets you assist sometimes maybe you can eventually wear a scrub tub or lab coat.

This is the exact same position I'm in. By buttoned down shirt, I'm assuming you mean with the sleeves not rolled up? It's reallllllly hot here, and would like to know if thats a little too casual. I'll be shadowing at a very big multidentist dental clinic.

first impressions are everything. a family member in the dental field told me to always wear shirt/tie the first time you meet someone in a situation like this. as another poster said, you may be able to lose the tie later in the day. even if the dentist tells you to dress more "business casual" or scrubs next time, you let them know you mean business.