What to focus on, aside from the usual?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bDeyo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

Lurker here, first time posting. Although I don't feel my situation is unique, I do have a few specific questions that I have had a hard time answering through mdapps, and searching the forums.

Full time student, working full time 34-40+ hours/week. Full time job is working with disabled individuals in a group home setting. I work overnights and get paid sleep, so of the 40 hour weeks, sometimes 54+, about 75% is direct care. What kind of 'experience' is this considered? I administer medications, follow programs and physicians orders, provide personal cares, etc. As it is in a home, I'm unsure if this counts as 'clinical' experience.

On the side, I volunteer at the ER wheeling patients to urgent care / ER room beds from triage. 4 hrs / week. Will continue doing this as it's a lot of fun. However, I don't see a whole lot of Doc-Nurse, Nurse-Nurse, Doc-Doc, Doc-Patient interaction really. I'm limited to Nurse-Patient in a triage setting only. Should I look to other settings to obtain more involved experience? Or is this "okay"?

I have not shadowed yet; However this semester I plan on e-mailing and calling the offices of some DO's in the area (there are a few) and seeing if I can check it out.

My cumulative GPA is 3.6, while my science GPA is 3.0. I plan on retaking a couple courses to boost that, and have plenty of upcoming upper level science courses of the Bio, Chem, Physics nature. I'm majoring in Clinical Lab Science, and will be finishing the entire degree in 2 years time. Have yet to take the MCAT. I plan on following Sn2's guide on these forums. Something I'm a little concerned about is the changes coming to the MCAT, as I will probably have to take the new version when it's released.

When it comes to extra curriculars, what can I do to improve my chances in the coming years when applying to med schools, specifically DO? Leadership stuff, community volunteering, research? Little bit of everything? My free time for these things is limited, due to work and the absolute necessity to keep my grades at the ceiling.

I guess the big question here is, since I work full time and my time is shortened, what are the main things to focus on, aside from science GPA repair and MCAT studying?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this! I apologize if it's a little long.

Members don't see this ad.

I think grades are the most important, other than that try n make friends with a few professors so you can get good LOR from them, maybe even do lab research if time allows with one of them. Are you part of any clubs? Try and get a leadership position, then you will have covered all bases :)