What to know before NYCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kissachka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'll be starting NYCOM this august, and although i've seen this question in the 2011 thread aimed towards biochem I'm generally interested in what I should know before starting classes. I've never taken biochem or human anatomy and physiology at the undergraduate level. Should I be worried and try to do some reading over the summer or will it all come to me next year without too many problems? Any and all input is definitely appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd never taken anything beyond the med school entrance requirements during college, and I was fine. Don't worry. You'll be taught everything you need to know here. What you should do for now?

If you're taking student loans setup a high interest online savings account such as HSBCdirect now, so that when you get those loan checks, you can start rolling over 5%.

Purchase the core books only using Bigwords.com. By core books, I mean the books everyone needs for boards, etc. aka Robbins, First Aid, Moore & Daly's Clinical Anatomy, etc. I would NOT recommend buying everything on the booklist. Wait until you get into the courses to see what you need. Yukochi's is always floating around on digital copy for free ;) and Netters is given to you if you join SOMA for $60.

Start looking for housing if you're gonna move this summer. Get moved in and settled BEFORE the first day. You will need to start studying 2nd day of classes, yay! :thumbdown:

If you're taking student loans setup a high interest online savings account such as HSBCdirect now, so that when you get those loan checks, you can start rolling over 5%.

You mean, to set up HSBC account to put the extra money from loans to the account?

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean, to set up HSBC account to put the extra money from loans to the account?
I'm talking about money for living expenses. Money is dispursed twice/year. Put the lump sum into a high interest account as previously mentioned. What I do is withdraw a set amount at the beginning of every month for my living expenses, which goes into my regular checking account. Why let the bulk of your money sit in an account earning pennies? I've earned well over a hundred bucks in interest already from HSBC.

I thought of some other things that would be helpful to incoming students.

Get a couple pair of scrubs. If you're working in a hospital, now would be a good time to start borrowing some :D

Stethoscope, bp cuff, otoscope/opthalmoscope you can pickup now. They offer you a chance to order some expensive ones at the beginning of the year. Some people like to purchase good ones b/c they want to use them in their practice in the future. I purchased the cheapest otoscope / opthalmoscope on ebay I could find, and it has gotten me thru the year just fine so far.

You are going to be given 5-6 of stapled packets for powerpoints / notes each week. You need to figure out some way to keep them organized, b/c when review time comes at the end of each thread, do you want to be able to simply flip to all the microbio notes, or do you want to sit there and page thru every note packet trying to remember which week the lecture was given. The best way I found to do it is I buy the giant 3 inch binders from Costco and some 8-tab dividers from staples and separate all the notes by subject. Oh yeah and get yourself a staple remover; you're gonna need to rip these packets apart in order to file them.

I thought of some other things that would be helpful to incoming students.

Get a couple pair of scrubs. If you're working in a hospital, now would be a good time to start borrowing some :D

Stethoscope, bp cuff, otoscope/opthalmoscope you can pickup now. They offer you a chance to order some expensive ones at the beginning of the year. Some people like to purchase good ones b/c they want to use them in their practice in the future. I purchased the cheapest otoscope / opthalmoscope on ebay I could find, and it has gotten me thru the year just fine so far.

You are going to be given 5-6 of stapled packets for powerpoints / notes each week. You need to figure out some way to keep them organized, b/c when review time comes at the end of each thread, do you want to be able to simply flip to all the microbio notes, or do you want to sit there and page thru every note packet trying to remember which week the lecture was given. The best way I found to do it is I buy the giant 3 inch binders from Costco and some 8-tab dividers from staples and separate all the notes by subject. Oh yeah and get yourself a staple remover; you're gonna need to rip these packets apart in order to file them.

Dude, you are awesome!! Thanks for the advise. Will get on that - STAT.

Alas, I have but another! I guess I'll post these as I think of them.

Get a printer if you don't have one already (or share one with ur roommates). Sometimes, they'll change the powerpoints and they don't reprint them; other times (rarely) you won't get any notes printed at all and will need to print out your own for studying. The library restricts you to 10 pages at a time and won't allow printing of powerpoints at all!

As the year has gone on, I have altered my studying habits almost every thread in attempt to improve; this past exam, I have scored my highest score of the year so far :) At first, I used to hand write out outlines/study sheets for every lecture and then use those notes during review with my friends for the exam. Then I moved onto typing my own outlines for every lecture. This past thread, I did not make any review sheets or outlines at all, but instead spent more time READING handouts and books (robbins, 1st aid and step-up to the usmle, mostly.) Figure out which methods work best for you. :luck:

The good thing about having a dad who sells medical supplies: I won't have to shell out dough for all that stuff. I can just tell my dad the color I want, and he brings it for me. Scrubs, stethoscope, all that stuff. Hey, gotta save expenses when I can. My dad is counting on me giving him a lot of business thoughwonce I get my own practice. I guess I know who i'll have to use for all my medical practice needs :thumbup:

The good thing about having a dad who sells medical supplies: I won't have to shell out dough for all that stuff. I can just tell my dad the color I want, and he brings it for me. Scrubs, stethoscope, all that stuff. Hey, gotta save expenses when I can. My dad is counting on me giving him a lot of business thoughwonce I get my own practice. I guess I know who i'll have to use for all my medical practice needs :thumbup:

Lucky you!!!! :)

I got a laser printer for $60 from Staples after rebate. Whenever I need to look up books online through MDConsult or StatRef I can print out the individual chapters I need to read so I don't have to squint at the computer screen. Considering I've held off from buying some books since they're available online and I can print them out, the $60 investment has definately paid off. So keep your eyes peeled for deals - mine works great, its a Samsung ML-2510.

Plasticman and I went to study @ the beach today... it was great! Another + for NYCOM hooray!

Except for the fact that we're both crispy as hell. Wear your sunscreen ladies and gents... wear your sunscreen.

:( :(

you guys are awesome. Thank you so much for your tips.

Hey everyone. I'll be starting NYCOM this august, and although i've seen this question in the 2011 thread aimed towards biochem I'm generally interested in what I should know before starting classes. I've never taken biochem or human anatomy and physiology at the undergraduate level. Should I be worried and try to do some reading over the summer or will it all come to me next year without too many problems? Any and all input is definitely appreciated!!!

hmm know you will be in a big debt.

theres 2 BR available in my current 4 BR place. Its literally 2 minutes away from school if you can get pass the red light (less than 5 minutes if you cant). 2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen, 1 living room, 1 dining room, washer/dryer, dishwasher, partially furnished with parking spaces. Theres a pathmark across the street. Restaurants are plenty too. Rent is $525 a month not including utilities. PM me if your interested. Congrats to all the new NYCOM students!

Anyone know when we have to pay the next payment after the 1st deposit? Thanks.

I believe the dates for payment are in the Fin. Aid packet, it's like 1/2 in Aug. and the rest in Nov. or something.

Plasticman and I went to study @ the beach today... it was great! Another + for NYCOM hooray!

Except for the fact that we're both crispy as hell. Wear your sunscreen ladies and gents... wear your sunscreen.

Agreed. We both got burned pretty badly. Being in Arizona right now in 103 degree weather doesn't help much. :eek: BTW, nvshelat, we won some cash last night in Vegas! Ahh, the benefits of being able to stream your lectures from anywhere in the country. :cool:

Was this a man on man date.... I find that a little wierd... but who am I to judge.