What to learn in Intern Year

Started by sidabear
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sidabear

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there! I matched advanced, and am starting my PGY-1 now on Internal Medicine. I of course am going to try to learn all that I can this year. I am wondering what parts (especially of internal) I should make sure I have down. In other words, what concepts/management of conditions from IM are you glad you had down pat, or wish you had taken more time to learn that you use frequently in inpatient medicine especially in your PGY-2? Thanks for any replies.

This may or may not be coherent, I am post-call 🙂
 
Know how to identify sick/not so sick. Learn to be comfortable with bread and butter diagnoses (chf, dm, copd, etc.). Learn how to not kill people. Learn how to start work ups and when/how consult other services.

I wouldn't bother too much with detailed work ups for odd diseases etc.