What to look for in choosing a Pathology Residency Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HowlPrenderghast

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the benefit of prospective applicants, What metrics or features would you look for in choosing a residency program? Prestige? Research output? Geography? Volume load?

In this sub-section of the forum, I remember reading a comprehensive post about the different tier of residency programs dividing it into three: Large (Academy) Programs, followed by medium sized training programs, and then the small programs and then discussing the advantages/disadvantages of the three. The person who wrote the post trained in the medium sized program and vouched for it. Sadly, I can't find that post anymore as it contained very useful advice.

Members don't see this ad.

For the benefit of prospective applicants, What metrics or features would you look for in choosing a residency program? Prestige? Research output? Geography? Volume load?

In this sub-section of the forum, I remember reading a comprehensive post about the different tier of residency programs dividing it into three: Large (Academy) Programs, followed by medium sized training programs, and then the small programs and then discussing the advantages/disadvantages of the three. The person who wrote the post trained in the medium sized program and vouched for it. Sadly, I can't find that post anymore as it contained very useful advice.
In no particular order:
1. More experts the better

2. Great faculty teaching Skillz and didactics. Experts are usually good teachers.

3. Good volume (at least 25-30,000 specimens)

4. Good pleasant people to be around. Make sure you like the residents. Very important as you will work with them for four years.

5. No drama. No crazies or malignant personalities. No gossipy coworkers.

6. I would look for programs with multiple fellowships. Multiple fellowships means the program has adequate to a lot of volume in a particular subspecialty (at least have a heme and cyto fellowships).

7. Good supportive program director. I knew of a malignant program director that made residents cry after their evaluations.

8. if you want to work in a competitive job market (large city) I suggest you do your training there to make connections.

8. Your Overall fit into the program is most important. Get a vibe for the place on interview day. If you feel like the place isn’t for you or you didn’t mesh well with the people there think twice about ranking the program high.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Something I didn't think about is the number of locations you need to work at or go to for conference. Working in 3 different hospitals, 2 other buildings, then going to conference somewhere else can be a hassle.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In no particular order:
1. More experts the better

2. Great faculty teaching Skillz and didactics. Experts are usually good teachers.

3. Good volume (at least 25-30,000 specimens)

4. Good pleasant people to be around. Make sure you like the residents. Very important as you will work with them for four years.

5. No drama. No crazies or malignant personalities. No gossipy coworkers.

6. I would look for programs with multiple fellowships. Multiple fellowships means the program has adequate to a lot of volume in a particular subspecialty (at least have a heme and cyto fellowships).

7. Good supportive program director. I knew of a malignant program director that made residents cry after their evaluations.

8. if you want to work in a competitive job market (large city) I suggest you do your training there to make connections.

8. Your Overall fit into the program is most important. Get a vibe for the place on interview day. If you feel like the place isn’t for you or you didn’t mesh well with the people there think twice about ranking the program high.

Best of luck.
Thank you so much. Will definitely put these suggestions into heart.

One of the very most important things is the surgpath schedule and protected preview time. Ideally you have a multiple day cycle - gross day 1, preview day 2, signout day 3. There are lots of variations of this but the more time you have to sit with slides and think and read the better.

Total volumes can be a misdirect- it depends on the kinds of specimens and the total volume YOU will see that matters. If you are grossing and signing out 20K ditzels you won't learn much.

It is important that you see good variety in large volumes. You should get to preview and be allowed to work up a diagnosis for EVERY case you gross.

Reactions: 1 user