What to Major in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodforn0thing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently a senior in high school, and I am interested in going into pharmacy. I was wondering is it okay for me to major in Chemistry if I want to go to pharmacy school? I'm not worried about doing badly GPA-wise. Do most people who go to pharmacy school major in Chemistry, Biology, or Biochemistry? What options are there if I major in chemistry and I change my mind and not go to pharmacy school? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter at all as long as you do your pre reqs. That being said, doing any of the three majors you mentioned will require you to do most of the classes for your major anyway. So I would say just pick the one that intrests you the most. And this is the same for any of the professional schools in healthcare, do if you decide you want to do, say, dentistry, you could still do that later on

I have my undergrad in psychology and will have my masters in psychology when I apply next cycle to enter 2016. Like others have said, major doesn't really matter as long as you have your prereqs. I did most of mine during high school (I was dual enrollment) because I had planned to go to pharmacy school right after high school but life got in the way. I have 3 semesters of prereqs to finish -ochem, calc (only have pre done) and physics. I may need another anatomy course, I plan to ask when I tour the campus again (last time was in 06). I will also have a grad certificate as I need something to fill my yr 'off' between my masters and pharm school. Even though I will be finishing prereqs for part of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same I will have a B.S. in Psychology this fall, minor in Biology and I just got accepted for next fall, good luck!

I recommend balancing risk and reward - pick a major which offers tangible, hard skills which directly translate to desired competencies for emppoyment. It doesnt matter whether it is an applied science such as chemistry or a business degree in accounting or petroleum engineering. The reality is that many highschool students entertaining the idea of a future in pharmacy end up abandoning it so you might as well have a degree that means something to someone other than yourself.

You can major in anything, though if you go into chemistry, biology, or natural science a lot of those pre-reqs are going towards your degree. If you really like a different subject and don't mind taking the extra classes then I'd say go for it, but for me getting a science degree made more sense. But for most pharmacy schools you don't need a bachelors degree anyway, I know a ton of people who get in without one. People also argue that if you can get in without finishing a degree, why waste your time and money?

Any of those majors would be a suitable choice. Most people apply then go into pharmacy school after two years, so it is more important to worry about completing all of the prerequisites,

It does not matter what you major in as long as you complete the prerequisites