1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

What to put in recommendation, if the recommender asks you to write it ?????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by J.Pearlman, Jun 12, 2002.

1. J.Pearlman

J.Pearlman Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello everyone,
    one of my recommenders, a physician I shadowed, also a relative and family friend, wants me to draft him a recommendation and then just wants to modify and sign it. I want to use this oppurtunity as best as I can, and could use med students opinion on what I should put in it, specially from those students that have had experience on the admissions committee and know what they look for in capable students. I appreciate the advice of all those that help. Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

<a href="http://www.accepted.com/medical/LettersRec.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.accepted.com/medical/LettersRec.aspx</a>

You can also do a search on the web for additional resources for how to write a letter of rec. Just keep it standard in the format with glowing praise for yourself. Now isn't the time to be modest.

4. J.Pearlman

J.Pearlman Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for your help, I've looked at that site and its very helpful.
    What I really want is inside info from med-students that have been on adcoms, and know what qualities they are checking for in recommendations.

5. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Admissions committees prefer people that are whimsically good-natured and at least 6 feet in height.

6. J.Pearlman

J.Pearlman Member
    7+ Year Member

I guess I asked for that one. What I meant was, I need to make the recomm shine, and how since there are so many ways I can do that, I wanted advice, from those that have experience evaluating recomm. letters.

7. danyela

danyela Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's some info from notes I took hanging out at my undergrad advising center, "a good letter explains how long and in what capacity you've known the applicant, strengths and weaknessnes of the applicant, any unusual aspects that might contribute to or hinder academic work , and knowledge of any extracurricular activities the applicant has been involved in during college. Important buzzwords to use when he/she [you] compares you to other students include: intellectual ability, judgement, empathy, motivation, stamina and "ability to relate and communicate with diverse individuals" An example here is the following situation : this recommender happens to know that you chose to take rigorous courseloads [read:you are a highly motivated individual who enjoys intellectual challenges provided by the pre-med curriculum at XXXuniversity.]
    The letter should be as detailed and example-laden as possible. It should be positive but not over the top..I have something here about citing weaknessness/qualifiers because it makes the letter seem honest, but if it were me I'd try to do that thing where you turn a "weakness" into a strength.....
    Hope this helps you good luck!!

8. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

Yo troll, why don't you show some integrity and let him tell his piece about you. He's probably scared you'll find out what he *really* thinks about you, troll. --Me