What to put in the "Honours & Awards" section?

Started by cbarne01
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cbarne01

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice.
The Honours & Awards section is new for the Ontario Veterinary College app and there aren't any instructions. What qualifies for this section? From admitted students threads I've found ppl often include:
- honour roll/semester grade awards
- research grants
- financial awards & scholarships
- work related awards (top seller, etc.)
- community acknowledgement for e service

But what else might go here? Can you give some examples of things that fit here that I might not have thought of?

I have several medal placings at national competitions (shooting), does that give the wrong message?

Thanks for your help!
 
I included academic honor societies here--Tri-Beta and the like. In fairness, though, I added those mostly because otherwise this section would have been rather bare.
 
I put scholarships that I won, deans list, academic honors, awards won from horse shows (state champ, national top ten etc), and awards won from clubs that I participate in at school (Sports club of the year, stuff like that).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I put honors societies, honors programs, scholarships, and departmental awards, deans list, and graduation honors like Summa cum laude, etc. Vmcas also asked all the way through high school, so I had to dig up my high school resume haha! (I won some silly award for being easily startled in marching band- didn't include that!) But I would list the college ones first since they are probably more significant.