What to read in the next few months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immatch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Matching to internal medicine next year but feel uncomfortable because I haven't had a rotation in 2 months and will only have one more ambulatory rotation next month with research rotations until graduation. What should I read to prepare for intern year and make sure I'm as ready as I can be? Step up to medicine? Mksap but not sure if I can get my hands on it? Harrison's? I've researched this before and I know the advice is to enjoy fourth year but most people are at least doing a rotation with minimal hours so I feel that I should at least read a few hours a day since I'm not going to be doing any clinical rotations

Members don't see this ad.

Matching to internal medicine next year but feel uncomfortable because I haven't had a rotation in 2 months and will only have one more ambulatory rotation next month with research rotations until graduation. What should I read to prepare for intern year and make sure I'm as ready as I can be? Step up to medicine? Mksap but not sure if I can get my hands on it? Harrison's? I've researched this before and I know the advice is to enjoy fourth year but most people are at least doing a rotation with minimal hours so I feel that I should at least read a few hours a day since I'm not going to be doing any clinical rotations

IM essentials from acp is enough for now. Your program will likely provide you mksap so dont waste your money. Harrisons lol. Enjoy 4th year... IM essentials is a good start. :p

Reactions: 1 users
finding out your rotation schedule,
then finding good intern guides that correspond, like for ICU, wards, nightfloat,
common admits & work ups - like CP rule out, PNA, urosepsis, DKA, that sort of thing

gathering resources that will help you GET ORDERS IN & BASIC DDXs & W/Us-
PocketMedicine
Sanford Guide to Abx
Med Calc type apps on your phone
Dosing guide if EHR doesn't hold your hand
Not ashamed to admit - I didn't know how to replete lytes day 1 without a guide

go check out my "intern megapost" somewhere is a post where I wrote up all the topics to have a handle on for inpt and if you have clinic

if you don't know how to diagnose type 2 DM, the cut offs, what drugs to start when, that is the sort of stuff you're gonna want a resource for or to know, don't review too much pathophys in Harrison's, you need to

PUT IN ORDERS
WRITE NOTES

godspeed

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I always found the Secrets series (eg Medical Secrets) to be good for casual studying, although it may depend to some degree on your personal learning style.

As an "expert" in the field I can tell you that the Rheumatology Secrets book in particular is quite good, and contains most of the information that even a rheumatology fellow needs to know for day to day clinical work. So I assume some of the others in the series are similarly good.

Reactions: 3 users
I always found the Secrets series (eg Medical Secrets) to be good for casual studying, although it may depend to some degree on your personal learning style.

As an "expert" in the field I can tell you that the Rheumatology Secrets book in particular is quite good, and contains most of the information that even a rheumatology fellow needs to know for day to day clinical work. So I assume some of the others in the series are similarly good.

My wife swears by it. All of the fellows in her former program used it.

I used Resident Readiness Internal Medicine to learn about the common admission diagnosis
Also went through Washington Manual medical therapeutics for more in-depth review.

Just read on your patients as an intern. 10 min per pt. Skim a review article, read utd, something. You do that and get your work done, you'll be top 25%

Most of general medicine you should be prepared for, just read throughout the year as you go. If you've never done ICU I'd recommend Marino the ICU book, its basic and relatively short, and will be a good primer for your ICU months.

The Expanse series

don't watch the lame show, read the books

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)

Was looking for the next read. I have a rule that I won't start s series that isn't finished but...

I'll second this. I came across the show first about a month ago. I've been keeping up with it, but I recently started reading Leviathan Wakes and definitely agree that the book is better than the show. My goal is to finish Babylon's Ashes before graduation.

Have either of you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy? It all starts with the voyage to Mars, so it's more technical when it comes to describing terraforming efforts once they arrive, but it has some similar political themes as The Expanse.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The Expanse series

don't watch the lame show, read the books

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)
The latest installments have been pretty weak tho. Nemesis Games was borderline unreadable IMO.

If you want an amazing series to read and I do mean amazing, consider this one: The Blade Itself (This is a finished series btw @Gastrapathy).

And I have to say, this is a series where even if you don't want to read and just wanna do audiobook, the audiobook version is the best I've ever heard and I've listened to a ton of audiobooks.

Last edited:
The latest installments have been pretty weak tho. Nemesis Games was borderline unreadable IMO.

If you want an amazing series to read and I do mean amazing, consider this one: The Blade Itself

And I have to say, this is a series where even if you don't want to read and just wanna do audiobook, the audiobook version is the best I've ever heard and I've listened to a ton of audiobooks.

Couldn't disagree with you much more.

Why are you reading anything. Go get a nintendo switch and play Zelda. I will be envious.