what to say to decline an acceptance!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckymed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who were accepted, do you have to response to them before the date indicated in the acceptance letter. Is the deposit refundable prior May 15th? What were you say to ad committees to decline their offer? Any info will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Be respectful in your written letter, and also be mindful of the proper dates. Thank the school for giving you the opportunity to study medicine and make them aware of you gratitude. Basically, do unto others as you would want done to yourself. Also, don't burn any bridges, you never know where or when you will encounter these people again.

Do decline an offer I'd go for short and sweet.

Dear Adcom,

I would like to withraw my application at this time. Thank you for your consideration to date.

Sincerely,
XXX

It will say in the letter whether the deposit is refundable. At most schools it is refundable until May 15th. It will also say when you have to respond by, usually you have to respond within 2 weeks (I think two weeks from the date on the letter)
:D