What to study between M1-M2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GotToGetThatGPAUp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this question has obviously been asked before, but this is the first M1-M2 summer where the class will have a P/F Step 1.

So, not for Step 1 but for making M2 slightly easier what would you focus on during summer? Please don't say "don't worry about school, enjoy yourself, yada yada." I'm working the entire summer, I don't have money for a vacation, and one of my jobs has a decent amount of downtime so I've got nothing else to do.

I was thinking of focusing on Micro or Pharm, I could try for both but let us say I didn't have the time - which would you focus on? Would you use Sketchy for both? Something different?

Would love to hear everyone's input.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with pharm. Memorizing all the MOAs, side effects, and contraindications is harder than just memorizing all the bugs.

In the past I would have totally said go with sketchy (along with Zanki pharm), but I'm not so sure anymore. Zanki pharm is more than sufficient. It's got almost all of the sketches in the deck. It takes a long time to go through all of the videos, even at 2x speed. What I remember more than anything is the sketches themselves (not the narrations), which are in the deck. These are the critical memory hooks that allow you to remember those annoying and difficult to remember side effects.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on what you will cover in M2. Idk how your curriculum works, but if you haven't done micro yet then sketchy micro + pharm would be good to get through.

Members don't see this ad :)
The M2 year is an important year and covers I would say >80% of the material on Step 1. And Step 1 probably covers 20-30% of Step 2 content, so you need a good foundation throughout. While you have the energy and desire to study now, just take some time to relax too. I did a "lite UFAPS" for 3 weeks, covering a little UW, FA for stuff I'd learned, Pathoma 1-3, Sketchy for drugs and bugs that I learned in school but hadn't watched videos for.

So in essence, I used that break to solidify and weave together my M1 year, which helped a lot for my M2 year. No new material. Don't focus on gross anatomy that much. If you know histology (micro-anatomy) well, you will be an expert in pathology, which is what medicine is all about.

And as I said, take plenty of break! You want to save stamina and drive for going through the whole M2 year without getting exhausted.

Whatever you need a little bit extra time on. I personally struggle a bit with the biochem section so I wish I had gone over that.

Sketchy all the micro. Like it seems like a lot, but it's really only 18 hours of video. Sit down, do 4 hours a day and you can easily get through 2-3 passes.
Take whatever you've got first block 2nd year and do the pharm for that course only. Then just review whatever you needed from 1st year.

I'd suggest taking at least a week off to just relax though.

And as I said, take plenty of break! You want to save stamina and drive for going through the whole M2 year without getting exhausted.
I'd suggest taking at least a week off to just relax though.
Thanks folks! I'll definitely take all of your advice. And don't worry, I plan to do this work during downtime in my actual work where I can't really do much else. I'll be working 5-6 days a week during the break, so not much room to take extended time off so figured may as well utilize the downtime at work to be productive in other departments and potentially lighten the workload of M2

Not the best student here but consider study NOTHING except for some light reviews/sketchy if you are really bored.

This is your "last summer" and you might want to spend time with family, travel (post-covid), do some extracurricular (because you will be so busy during school year), and HAVE FUN.

Reactions: 1 user
Not the best student here but consider study NOTHING except for some light reviews/sketchy if you are really bored.

This is your "last summer" and you might want to spend time with family, travel (post-covid), do some extracurricular (because you will be so busy during school year), and HAVE FUN.

My last summer was the one between middle and high school :lol:

Can't afford to travel, unfortunately, and as I said in my post I'll be doing this during my downtime at work so it's not superseding personal time.

I also haven't been too busy during this M1 year, and have had plenty of time for ECs so I don't think it'll be bad during M2. Plus getting a headstart on these bigger topics may provide even more room for ECs during school.

nothin

maybe do anki reviews

seriously you had a grueling year and a more grueling year ahead unless P/F step has really changed that dynamic

nothin

maybe do anki reviews

seriously you had a grueling year and a more grueling year ahead unless P/F step has really changed that dynamic
This year hasn't been bad really, however, M2 seems to really be so trying to lessen the load there.

I was wondering if anyone would have advice on what to study going between M1 and M2 year at school's with a 1 year pre-clinical (going directly into clerkships next fall)?

I was wondering if anyone would have advice on what to study going between M1 and M2 year at school's with a 1 year pre-clinical (going directly into clerkships next fall)?

@Gilakend
Not sure if he'll see this, but I'm pretty sure he has the same curriculum

This year hasn't been bad really, however, M2 seems to really be so trying to lessen the load there.

I started pharm and micro reviews for anki very early in M2. By the end I never had more than 40-or-so cards to review on a given day because I spaced them out so much, and they were my strongest sections. And I just did about 10 news per day.

I'm just an average student but if you put in that little bit of work now you won't need to touch it during dedicated other keeping up reviews.

@Gilakend
Not sure if he'll see this, but I'm pretty sure he has the same curriculum
@pBar

Honestly, I didn't study anything. I started typing out to just keep up with Zanki if you use it then remembered step will be P/F for you. I would say just chill, you could start OME, amboss, or UW a few weeks before you first rotation if you'd like. I think that'd be helpful if it was something like IM or surgery where you won't want to come home and study a ton every day. But other than that I would say you could review stuff and keep up with cards (if you use anki) and just hang out.

Reactions: 1 users
Travel. It's hard to find time for that.

But if you're about being gunner, just squeeze in a Qbank like Rx. Will give you a boost for MS2 and for Step.