What to take...please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhys

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, what a wonderfully supportive and inofrmative place--I'm so glad I found it! What did peope do before the internet, anyway?
Well, I'm an English/Creative writing major. I'm finishing up my M.A. this semester, and will start my post-bac science/math requirements next semester to prepare for med school. I've been so encouraged by reading the accounts of so many med students who started out in something other than science, so I'm determined and know I can do it. Now, my school isn't part of a medical program--though it does have a pre-med option, so I'm very anxious to take the best science/math courses that will help me most with admission and help me do well on the MCAT.

Right now I'm assuming I need Biology 1 and 2, Chem. 1 and 2, Physics 1 and 2, Anatomy/Phys. 1 and 2, an extra Chem--either Organic or Inorganic, I think? --and some sort of math? I haven't had science since high school, so any advice would be MOST appreciated. Any sort of supplemental science courses I should take? And should I get a job in a doctor's office, just for the experience?

Thanks so much for any advice!! (And I'd love to help anyone here anyway I can--I'm a med schol novice, but I'm a crackerjack writer, so if anyone eneds help with those admission essays.. ) Thanks!
--Rhys

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the Medical School Admission Requirements book, aka MSAR in your school's carrer office or pre-med advisor's office. It details the courses rec. by all US and Canadan schools. Most schools require 2 semesters of intro bio with lab, 2 sem. of general chem, with lab, 2 sem of organic with lab and two sem of physics (algebra based not calculus, but you can take the calc. based one if you want ;) math is usually not required by most schools, english classes or humanities are required by a suprising amount. But that wont be a problem for you :D .
As far as working in a doctors office, you will need to prove to the admissions people that you want to go into medicine. Most applicants have volunteered at local hospitals or clinics. Most hospitals have a volunteer office that you can call.
Above all, I would talk to your schools pre-med advisior. It doesn't matter if you aren't an undergrad anymore. They are there for all students and even alumni (like me). Also, if you were worried about your English degree holding you back, don't be. I have a degree in Art of all things and it hasn't hurt me. Good luck and remember to have fun.

Thank you so much, DaniC, for the advice and encouragement; I really appreciate it! :) Good luck with everything.

(And I love your sig, btw!)