What tools do I need for self plaque removal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vampire_D

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all dentites, I want to give some tools for my brother's birthday. I was wondering which dental picks and scrapers would be recommended. As a non-dentist person, specific brands and descriptions would be appreciated. I am planning to buy these at the UCLA medical/dental bookstore. Thanks for the help. :D

Members don't see this ad.

A tooth brush and floss.

We dentists use "instruments" - not to be confused with the "tools" carpenters use. :D

I'd go with Big Poppa's suggestion. I haven't figured out yet how to use a Gracey Curette on myself. If he was going to remove plaque on other people, Gracey curettes and scalers would work.

Members don't see this ad :)
for self plaque removal.....get him toothbrush and floss....using instruments such as graceys, sickles etc on yourself is not a good idea. you cannot fulcrum your own hand to reach in the interperximal areas and near the margin and thus will not be able to apply any type of lateral pressure....which will lead to ----> lacerations = not worth the time, money or the trouble. Just my humble opinion...

Steve

Hey Steve - I was only kidding. Using a Gracey on myself would be just as succesful as trying to polish the amalgams in my mouth by myself.

a tooth brush, a floss, a mirror with adequate light to see plaque easily and a good mouth wash. also you can give him some baking powder, it makes whiter. i also use maswak. it is infact a branch of plant and you first chew it to make it soft and then rub it on your teeth. its a herbal procedure but is really effective. i think you have got a whole kit of plaque removal stuff. go ahead and many happy returns of the day.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by fafooden:
•a tooth brush, a floss, a mirror with adequate light to see plaque easily and a good mouth wash. also you can give him some baking powder, it makes whiter. i also use maswak. it is infact a branch of plant and you first chew it to make it soft and then rub it on your teeth. its a herbal procedure but is really effective. i think you have got a whole kit of plaque removal stuff. go ahead and many happy returns of the day.•••••Is "maswak" a commercial product?

You might also want to give him some disclosing solution, that way he can see what a hopeless endeaver removing all the plaque is, or if your a glass is half full kind of person, to see which spots he missed so he can clean them.

Fair warning though, it is really hard to get a plaques score of 0. My school made us try it, and it took about 30 min, with just a toothbrush and floss, and no help from other people. I recommend trying it though, it's both fun and frustrating.

Instead you should give him Peridex, or adjust his nutritional intake, at least that's what has been burned into our heads :confused:

mun
maswak is not at all a commercial product. it is the fresh branch of tree you can have it from any tree. but get confirmed that it should not be poisonous. in pakistan it was used a lot some years back but its not in that much use nowadays. its becuse of the increasing commercials of tooth pastes and tooth brushes.but it has been in use for quite a long time. when ever sometimes i get concious about my oral health i start using it. i really feel the difference. our prophet Mohammad(P.B.U.H) used the maswak and so everyone started using it. even now it is in use. you can understand how cheap and helpful it is. go ahead and try it. if u don't feel the difference it is not going to harm u either :wink: