Wisdom teeth removal - share your experience and tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin A. Dedrick

Reaction score
Gotta have two wisdom teeth pulled
icon_evil.gif
And no, I am not asking one of you guys to do the procedure on me, as the topic header might suggest
icon_mad.gif
Asking for experience from those who have been through it.

Thing is, I have no choice. I have had two serious bacterial infections in the area back there in the past 6 months because of the wisdom teeth (suffering through the second one right now
icon_confused.gif
). So they basically have to go. And I am only having the bottom two (one on each side) taken out, since I do not have wisdom teeth on my upper jaw
icon_cool.gif

I am waiting till after I am done with my spring semester and exams to have the operation done. Could not do it after my first infection because I was busy with other things - getting married, taking final exams in the fall semester, going off to the honeymoon, and then coming back to do the wedding reception - in that order
icon_eek.gif

The doctor is in his 50s, so he has enough experience, and he specializes in dental surgery - oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Not you run-of-the-mill dentist who only does fillings and cleanings
icon_wink.gif
So I think I am okay in terms of getting it done by someone who knows what they are doing. Have already visited him twice (both times to have my infection looked at). Seems pretty cool guy - took his time to discuss things and options both times - so I feel comfortable with him.

So ........ what to expect? Is it as bad as people make it out to be? Any tips and advice? Share them now, before the teeth get pulled and my wisdom is gone forever
icon_biggrin.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I had 4 done in three visits over three years. The first (Right side top+bottom) was rough, mostly because the block wore off before # 2 was out, and when the dentist offered me reblocking or just finish the pull I chose the latter. The second visit was okay - the dentist had to split the tooth into 4 segments and pull each due to twisty-root action.

My dentist punted on the final tooth due to root hooking and angle issues, and sent me to the OMS next door to his office. On the day of my appointment, I was back in the car with gauze and a script for Norco ten minutes after checking in. I ended up using only one of the Norco, a couple tylenol on days 2 and 3, and then was absolutely golden. So I cannot recommend enough having an oral surgeon do them, as you are set up to do. The sockets never really bothered me tremendously(outside of a rogue bone fragment from visit #2); the main issue I had was TMJ pain from a.) time open on visit 1 and b.) force to split the tooth on visit 2. Soft foods helped in terms of not having to apply much force to the overworked joints, mainly. Otherwise, I had a little fever and cruddy feeling the day after visits 1 and 2, but that was about it. It was definitely not as bad as anticipated - good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Take it easy and pray you don't get a dry socket. That s**t hurts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had mine out, went to a party that night. My bro who got his out was laid up for a week. Depends on the person. Just don't be stupid and tear your stitches. Bad news bears

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.