You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
what topics and material should one really take away from undergrad biochem?
Started by steveysmith54
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My biochem class sucks. I am going to have to do a lot of studying on my own. To prepare for pharm school, which topics and material should i know well? thank you
Kreb Cycle and Glycolysis.
I would just try to do the best you can in biochem and then review what you need to once you're in pharmacy school. Our teachers gave us a quick review of things we had done back in undergrad if it pertained to the current topic. Just keep your biochem book and use it for reference later if you need to.
Are you serious or is this a joke?
Kreb Cycle and Glycolysis.
Are you serious or is this a joke?

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you serious or is this a joke?![]()
I'm sure he draws out the Kreb cycle every day for kicks...😛
I think you will learn or review what you need to know in the first year of pharm school. In my school, we took biochem the first year, and it wasn't a prereq.
Exactly...not all pharmacy schools require it as a pre-req. So the fact that you've seen it at all should be good enough! Believe it or not, I haven't had to use the Michaelis-Menten equation in practice yet. 🙄
yea definetly enzyme kinetics, memorize the amino acids and their structures, depending on how the class is taught i would keep my organic chem notes handy.My biochem class sucks. I am going to have to do a lot of studying on my own. To prepare for pharm school, which topics and material should i know well? thank you
i was able to take the P1 biochem @ NDSU before i got in to pharm school at the U of M👎 but unfortunately it didn't transfer. My P1 year i took the required biochem class that all P1's have to take (no one could waive it, even if they had a b.s. or masters in biochem) and different aspects of biochem were emphasized than when i took it at NDSU.
so ultimately my advice, pay attention and try to remember whatever you can because you WILL see it again somewhere
yea definetly enzyme kinetics, memorize the amino acids and their structures, depending on how the class is taught i would keep my organic chem notes handy.
i was able to take the P1 biochem @ NDSU before i got in to pharm school at the U of M👎 but unfortunately it didn't transfer. My P1 year i took the required biochem class that all P1's have to take (no one could waive it, even if they had a b.s. or masters in biochem) and different aspects of biochem were emphasized than when i took it at NDSU.
so ultimately my advice, pay attention and try to remember whatever you can because you WILL see it again somewhere
thanks for the info. I am most likely going to WesternU, and we actually have two biochem classes as prereqs. I am assuming they want us to know quite a bit.
epic, your responses are helpful as usual. 😴
I'm sure he draws out the Kreb cycle every day for kicks...😛
I'm too gullible, here and in real life! Believe it or not, I haven't had to use the Michaelis-Menten equation in practice yet. 🙄
Thank goodness! I don't even like to see mention of it anymore.

thanks for the info. I am most likely going to WesternU, and we actually have two biochem classes as prereqs. I am assuming they want us to know quite a bit.
epic, your responses are helpful as usual. 😴
I wasn't kidding. USC RX school biochem stressed Kreb Cycle and Glycolysis.
Of course that wasn't all....still but that was one of the first things.
If you're not going to SC...then don't worry about it.
I'm too gullible, here and in real life!
Thank goodness! I don't even like to see mention of it anymore.![]()
Yeah...biochem was pretty thorough at my school too. I'd roll my eyes when they asked how many ATP's came off of step x on the cycle (i.e. conversion of 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate to 3-phosphoglycerate by phosphoglycerate and conversion of PEP to pyruvate by pyruvate kinase) 🙄...but that was fall semester of P1 year...and I haven't needed to know since. 😉
Did you remember that or did you go look it up?(i.e. conversion of 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate to 3-phosphoglycerate by phosphoglycerate and conversion of PEP to pyruvate by pyruvate kinase)

Yeah...biochem was pretty thorough at my school too. I'd roll my eyes when they asked how many ATP's came off of step x on the cycle (i.e. conversion of 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate to 3-phosphoglycerate by phosphoglycerate and conversion of PEP to pyruvate by pyruvate kinase) 🙄...but that was fall semester of P1 year...and I haven't needed to know since. 😉
You don't use it any more because you don't know how to incorporate it into a normal conversation.
I routinely speak of glucose molecule going through glycolysis, kreb cycle, and electron transport system to phosphorylate 36 to 38 ADP molecules into ATP molecules.. with pyruvate as an end product. And oh..how important it is for yeast to go through anaerobic respiration to yield ethyl hydroxide byproduct when we humans can only produce painful lactic acid with low yield of ATP. Do you need me to draw out the enzymatic pathway?
Your education must not have been very good.
Did you remember that or did you go look it up?![]()
I don't have to look it up...but she left out it's more important to phosphorylate adenosinediphosphate...
Did you remember that or did you go look it up?![]()
Haha...heck no. Google images is a beautiful thing...which is why memorizing that stuff is absolutely pointless.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You don't use it any more because you don't know how to incorporate it into a normal conversation.
I routinely speak of glucose molecule going through glycolysis, kreb cycle, and electron transport system to phosphorylate 36 to 38 ADP molecules into ATP molecules.. with pyruvate as an end product. And oh..how important it is for yeast to go through anaerobic respiration to yield ethyl hydroxide byproduct when we humans can only produce painful lactic acid with low yield of ATP. Do you need me to draw out the enzymatic pathway?
Your education must not have been very good.
I only think about lactic acid when I'm on the eliptical...and when I'm making homemade yogurt.
I had that sucker memorized throughout undergrad and rx school.... made biochem very very easy...
I remember now. My biochem final was on December 14th.. I went to see the phantom of the opera on the 13th..
I went to see MJ play the night before my biochem final. Unfortunately he was on the Wizards though...
They still focus on glycolysis/krebs cycle first semester. It still sucks. But the discussion of PKU and Maple Syrup Urine Disease was cool.
They still focus on glycolysis/krebs cycle first semester. It still sucks. But the discussion of PKU and Maple Syrup Urine Disease was cool.
Enrique Cadenas still there?
I totally agree! 👍Haha...heck no. Google images is a beautiful thing...which is why memorizing that stuff is absolutely pointless.![]()
My biochem class sucks. I am going to have to do a lot of studying on my own. To prepare for pharm school, which topics and material should i know well? thank you
Stevey- If you want to know how in depth biochem gets in pharmacy school, let me know and I can dig up my notes and e-mail them to you. May help you study for your undergrad classes too.
Alcohol metabolism. A perfect conversational piece. 😛
Enrique Cadenas still there?
Yep, and still reading 38 pages of notes in 2 hours.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 4K