What Track Ought I Take to Combine My Interests Into One Medical Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaVe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm currently a Freshman Undergrad, Biology and Psychology double major on a Pre-Med track.

I currently have plans to do a cross-country transfer to a CUNY (Hunter) because of the awesome low tuition they have for a Neuroscience major (NeuroSci is my main passion) after my sophomore year. I'm very interested in their BioTechnology major as well, and will probably double with that, I probably won't finish in 4years but who does these days?

My question is, if I want to integrate applied medicine and biotechnology research (concentrating in neuroscience), what path ought I take?

Is combining this many elements into one medical career (research, application, and technology) even reasonable?

Also - I've been receiving mixed messages on this: if I am going to medical school and with an interest in neuroscience, should I pursue neurology or neurosurgery if I want to do research? (I'm currently shadowing a neurosurgeon, and his work is amazing but I have no idea how that career would ever have room for any serious research, but the fact that he gets to essentially carry out the treatment hands-on seems more rewarding- to me atleast- than applying a diagnosis)

I know it seems like I'm biting off a lot here, I've been shadowing doctors and am very realistic about the workload I'm setting myself up for, but I just don't feel as though I would be fully satisfied by doing only one aspect. I know that this is definitely what I want to dedicate myself to, I just don't exactly know the steps to get there.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, there are plenty of good resources here you can use to help guide you on path to medical school, including which and how many extracurricular things to do, ways
to approach the MCAT, etc...

You really need to take it easy an focus on doing well in your first few semesters of college before you go deciding between neurology and neurosurgery. Thelst important thing for you is to nail your
courses, do well on your MCAT, and accumulate extracurriculars to help you get into medical school, as it seems. like you definitely want a medical career. Since you're curious
about research and all that other stuff... get involved! go push your way into a research project and see if you like it and if you could really see yourself doing biotechnical research. it may not be realistic to have this be a MAJOR part of your career as a practicing physician, but it may help guide whether or not you want to go the MD/PhD route, which you need to plan ahead for. I wouldn't worry about a specific specialty right now, as the earliest time you'll really be able to make a decision is during your 3rd year of med school, so that's a little bit away from now. You may end up doing something completely different, and you'll see many many of your fellow med students go through this same confusion. Also, while neurology and neurosurgery overlap some they are basically completely different fields almost a world apart. For now, peruse these forums and focus on doing well in college and getting into med
school.

agree with the above poster. your main goal right now should be doing well enough in undergrad to even get into medical school. once in you may change your mind completely. Plus, what field you go into later on will be dictated by several factors which are currently beyond your control/not even remotely applicable (i.e. step scores and things of that nature).
just enjoy college at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, I'm currently a Freshman Undergrad, Biology and Psychology double major on a Pre-Med track.

I currently have plans to do a cross-country transfer to a CUNY (Hunter) because of the awesome low tuition they have for a Neuroscience major (NeuroSci is my main passion) after my sophomore year. I'm very interested in their BioTechnology major as well, and will probably double with that, I probably won't finish in 4years but who does these days?

My question is, if I want to integrate applied medicine and biotechnology research (concentrating in neuroscience), what path ought I take?

Is combining this many elements into one medical career (research, application, and technology) even reasonable?

Also - I've been receiving mixed messages on this: if I am going to medical school and with an interest in neuroscience, should I pursue neurology or neurosurgery if I want to do research? (I'm currently shadowing a neurosurgeon, and his work is amazing but I have no idea how that career would ever have room for any serious research, but the fact that he gets to essentially carry out the treatment hands-on seems more rewarding- to me atleast- than applying a diagnosis)

I know it seems like I'm biting off a lot here, I've been shadowing doctors and am very realistic about the workload I'm setting myself up for, but I just don't feel as though I would be fully satisfied by doing only one aspect. I know that this is definitely what I want to dedicate myself to, I just don't exactly know the steps to get there.

You're getting way ahead of yourself. Focus on getting INTO medical school first. There's nothing you can really do now to affect your chances at getting into a neurosurgery residency (other than probably getting a head start in your research experience), so just focus on your premed life.

Shadow other specialties, in the meanwhile, and keep your mind open. Not everyone can become a neurosurgeon.

This is match week for 4th year medical students (they receive their assignments to residencies all on the same day in festive events at every medical school). LaVe, you are 7 years (or more) away from that date. In that time, a lot of technology will evolve and things we only dream of now will be done in the field of medicine.

The advice you are getting here (study hard & get good grades, shadow physicians, get some research experience) is excellent. What your career in medicine may be will seem hazy now but will come into focus as you move down the road.