What type of grade conversion chart does my school fall in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zooted

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo, so my university's grading scheme is not explicitly stated in the AMCAS conversion charts. We have grades like an A(4.0), B+(3.5), B(3.0), C+(2.5) etc; we have no minus grades at all. This kinda mirrors the halfstep conversion scheme but idk. Should I expect my AMCAS gpa to be lower than my university or will they understand? Really not trying to get stiffed here lol

Members don't see this ad.

You can look up the AMCAS GPA assigned to A- and B- grades and recalculate your GPA. If you have a lot of A-s that were given the GPA weight of As, then yes your GPA will be lower. If your school straight up doesn’t give out A-s, then your GPA will remain the same as AMCAS calculates based on the letter grade your school assigns.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP's school counts B+ as a 3.5 and AMCAS counts a B+ as a 3.3. AMCAS GPA will be lower if OP has any B+s or C+s.

I considered that but would they not take into account the lack of minus grades at all?

You can look up the AMCAS GPA assigned to A- and B- grades and recalculate your GPA. If you have a lot of A-s that were given the GPA weight of As, then yes your GPA will be lower. If your school straight up doesn’t give out A-s, then your GPA will remain the same as AMCAS calculates based on the letter grade your school assigns.

They straight up don’t give minus grades- I really hope the latter is the case here

They straight up don’t give minus grades- I really hope the latter is the case here
Then you're lucky. AMCAS calculates GPA based on whatever grade is on your transcript. If your school doesn't do A-s your GPA will stay the same.

Just a quick update for anyone who gives a ****; my app was just verified and there was no change in gpa

Reactions: 1 user
I am lucky - my school just does 0 - 4.0 and *thankfully* my 2.9 is rounded to a 3.0, my 3.5s stay the same, a 3.9 rounds to a 4.0 and so on...